HERMS-RIMS kitchen setup not static help

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
piddledribble said:
brewmate is easier to understand. its lightweight and free.
Your brewing softwear will tell you how much to use as strike water at the mash temp for the amount of grains you will be using....Use that as your first amount, drain that off and then split the rest into 2 batches.

Cool m8
I'll have a butchers at brew m8.
sounds a lot easier when you put it like ya have.
ova the moon.
ATB
Bri

just fill your recipe in on the front page, then click the BREW DAY button to see all your temps and volumes

Manxnorton said:
piddledribble said:
just fill your recipe in on the front page, then click the BREW DAY button to see all your temps and volumes
Got brewmate on my mobile and it doesn't seem to be doing anything.. Hope I've got the right app...
Bri

yeah 2 totally different apps...the one for the mobile is dog toffee...lol
ATB
Bri

have you got it working....sorry only used it on desktop...works great

piddledribble said:
have you got it working....sorry only used it on desktop...works great

Mate your a legend
As you said on PC I put in the info and pressed brew day..
Hey presto!
I was going to ask you by pm if you could put in the 40 pint Malt Miller recipe for SNPA and advise...but think I've sussed it..
Just getting to know my new setup and taking into account Fil's run down on how he has brewed using it..
Fil states a 2 stage sparge and the recipe is only one, which was getting me a lil flustered.
As my thought was if the run is a 32L I could add the water to say a couple CM's below the lip and leave it for the desired 60mins and see what wart volume I get out of it, then work off what is needed for my final volume plus loss during boil..
As it says around 17L for the mash then around 14L for sparge totalling 27L for boil at 60 mins to get final volume of 23L...
But as I said I am going to play and learn dead space etc on each bit of kit and look up absorption n stuff...
The brew smith is definitely confusing and complicated compared to brewmate.
I don't know how many times in my head I have been working through brew day in my head lol.
I hope I make sense m8?
But I think I'm getting there with your encouraging remarks lol
ATB
Bri

:thumb:

It takes a few brews to get your volumes and temps right for your particular set up, but you'll get there.

I'm begining to think the least number of batch sparges the better as the grain bed can settle more, as long as you hold back 4-5 litres for a wash thro at the end.

piddledribble said:
:thumb:

It takes a few brews to get your volumes and temps right for your particular set up, but you'll get there.

I'm begining to think the least number of batch sparges the better as the grain bed can settle more, as long as you hold back 4-5 litres for a wash thro at the end.

Thx m8,
Sound advise.
Gonna stick to the one sparge method and 4-5L for final for wash thro..
From my first AG brew I'll start seeing a pattern form etc
ATB
Bri

Not had time yesterday to think on wether to fly or batch sparge.
So I think I am going to try fly sparging, to see if I can at least get used to that first.
As I mentioned in previous replies the first thing when I am cleaning and sterililising my kit is to work out volumes and deadspace etc.
At least this way I will get into a habit of having things recorded etc.
I think I have gripped my volumes for the mash and fingers X'd i'll get the boil nipped :pray:
Won't be home til tomorrow so possibly looking at Bew Wednesday.
ATB
Bri :thumb:

nothing wrong with either method of sparging.

to each his own

Welcome Kathy. :cheers: On my kitchen sink I have a screw off aerator which makes attaching hoses really simple. Hozelock make a 22 mm to 3/4" adaptor.

I only have the kitchen to do my brew days, so therefore all kit must be mobile from storeage.
I haven't read all the replies to this topic yet M, but this (pic below) was my mobile set up which I wheeled in from the garage to the kitchen for brew days. Boiler (top right) also acted as HLT, transfer liquor to mash tun (top left), after mash drain runnings to collection stainless pan (bottom left) whilst pumping sparge liquor from boiler to mash tun. On collecting required runnings empty remaining liquor from boiler and pump runnings from bottom vessel to boiler. In hind sight the extractor fan should have been placed further up the aluminium ducting and a swan neck needed placing in the ducting prior to the boiler lid. A small hole placed in the swan necks lowest point allowed condensate to be drawn from the ducting not allowing it to get back into the pan. The reason for the swan neck is that the ducting is full of talc from manufacture and the reason for moving the extractor fan further away is that high temps cause the chemicals in the plastic to leach....I lost a brew to learn that lesson :doh:

This was my 1st HERMS...all plastic and movable...and all a pleasurable learning curve :cool:

Vossy1 said:
I only have the kitchen to do my brew days, so therefore all kit must be mobile from storeage.
I haven't read all the replies to this topic yet M, but this (pic below) was my mobile set up which I wheeled in from the garage to the kitchen for brew days. Boiler (top right) also acted as HLT, transfer liquor to mash tun (top left), after mash drain runnings to collection stainless pan (bottom left) whilst pumping sparge liquor from boiler to mash tun. On collecting required runnings empty remaining liquor from boiler and pump runnings from bottom vessel to boiler. In hind sight the extractor fan should have been placed further up the aluminium ducting and a swan neck needed placing in the ducting prior to the boiler lid. A small hole placed in the swan necks lowest point allowed condensate to be drawn from the ducting not allowing it to get back into the pan. The reason for the swan neck is that the ducting is full of talc from manufacture and the reason for moving the extractor fan further away is that high temps cause the chemicals in the plastic to leach....I lost a brew to learn that lesson :doh:

This was my 1st HERMS...all plastic and movable...and all a pleasurable learning curve :cool:

Blummmmin 'Ell m8 what a couple of set ups ya had there, well impressed!
I'm liking your words of learning curves etc. bet every brew day was a learning day with changes needed done for the next time.
I can see how it can become an addiction driving you on to get each step or the kit correct.
I have been very lucky with my 3 AG brews so far all done to the right temps, volumes etc. and chuffed I bought Fil's kit, even though I spent a good 4 hrs at his place trying to take in as much info as possible.lol top bloke and always at the end of the phone when I have a 'Geordie mind burp'
He did have a HERMS setup that he was going to include, but don't know why I said no :doh:
Think I was still trying to get the wort chiller theory into my lil brain.
Mind you on the last AG brew with the introduction of my improved ice bath and starting the chiller off in the boiler then the fv got it rapidly down to pitching yeast temp in around 20 mins and less water cost ;)
In the new year I might treat myself to some shiny shiny pieces of kit....but to be honest my kit I have now works perfect and I only do 23l batches.
Fascinated how your kit is setup and constructed.
Thanks again for taking the time to take me through it.
ATB
Bri

Back