High Final Gravity

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woolley2002

Reaction score
Have just done my first All grain brew and after 2 weeks in the fermentation bucket my final gravity is very high.

Can anyone explain what may have caused this?

I brewed a Pale Ale 23ltr
OG - 1046
Ferm Temp 20 Deg

Started on 3rd April
Dry hops added 14/4

Final gravity taken today 18/4 1022 was looking to get to 1011

Everything sounds fine but what yeast did you use?

I just had one finish high, we had a very cold night in the middle of last week and I forgot to turn on my temp control which I think caused the yeast to stall: did you have temp control to keep it at 20C?

Everything sounds fine but what yeast did you use?

I just had one finish high, we had a very cold night in the middle of last week and I forgot to turn on my temp control which I think caused the yeast to stall: did you have temp control to keep it at 20C?
Used Safale S-04 yeast
I have had temp control set at 20c

Need more info.
What was your actual recipe?
What was your mash temperature and how long was your mash?
Image of recipe attached
Mash temp was 66c for 60 mins

This being my first All grain and first use of my Brewdevil I think I messed up the program for it.

I had read somewhere to set temp to 73c pre mash as when you add grains it will drop temp.

Temp did not drop at all when I added the grain so to start with my grain was in 73c water for about 25 mins of mash time.

Attachments

• IMG_20210418_193325.jpg
    IMG_20210418_193325.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 54
Image of recipe attached
Mash temp was 66c for 60 mins

This being my first All grain and first use of my Brewdevil I think I messed up the program for it.

I had read somewhere to set temp to 73c pre mash as when you add grains it will drop temp.

Temp did not drop at all when I added the grain so to start with my grain was in 73c water for about 25 mins of mash time.

That's likely what has done it then. Mashing at 73c will mean that you've ended up with more long-chain sugars that are difficult to ferment for most yeast strains. You can add enzymes to help break them down.

That will explain part of it the mash temp at 73c for 25 minutes as most conversion is done in the first 20 mins.
You are correct in that the grain does not make the temp drop that much I usually just set my temp at the mash temp and it hardly alters when I add the grains as the heater will come on Ps if you are brewing in a garage the ambient will be @ 10c at the mo so sit your grains in the say kitchen where it will be warmer and will not drop the temp hardly as I said your heater will come on anyway

That's likely what has done it then. Mashing at 73c will mean that you've ended up with more long-chain sugars that are difficult to ferment for most yeast strains. You can add enzymes to help break them down.
How do i add enzymes or is it to late now as I have dry hopped

You can add them to the fermenter and you should see it drop by a few points, but there is no guarantee.

This happened to me once. I tried raising the temperature and giving a little stir but nothing. Then I gently stirred in 1/2 teaspoon of Amylase enzyme and it kicked it off again within a few hours. I still have a lot left. Happy to send a teaspoon or so to you but I won’t be able to get to the post office until Wednesday. If you want me to send it just drop me a PM with your address.

This happened to me once. I tried raising the temperature and giving a little stir but nothing. Then I gently stirred in 1/2 teaspoon of Amylase enzyme and it kicked it off again within a few hours. I still have a lot left. Happy to send a teaspoon or so to you but I won’t be able to get to the post office until Wednesday. If you want me to send it just drop me a PM with your address.
Thank you for the offer, the only thing I'm not sure about is that I have already added my dry hops (Wednesday just gone) and was only suppose to be in for 4 days and we are now at 5 days, whst effect will it have if I leave it another week?
Or do you recommend to bottle now?

I’ve had dry hops in for 7 days before and haven’t had a problem. In your case it could be they are in for more like 10. Although probably not ideal, I would think that’s less of a risk than bottling before fermentation has finished. If it kicks off again after bottling you could end up with gushers or, worse still, bottle bombs.

I’ve had dry hops in for 7 days before and haven’t had a problem. In your case it could be they are in for more like 10. Although probably not ideal, I would think that’s less of a risk than bottling before fermentation has finished. If it kicks off again after bottling you could end up with gushers or, worse still, bottle bombs.
In that case if you don't mind sending me some enzyme that would be great, how long do you think it will take to finish fermentation once I have added the enzyme?

I use amylase a lot as I like dry beers. Will probably drop to target gravity in a day or two - but don’t be surprised if it goes lower. I can send some today if you like.

Sending teaspoons of white powder through Royal Mail?.....what can go wrong
#Anthrax 😀

Ha ha - have just done so. From Guernsey with a zero tolerance policy. Waiting for the knock on the door.

Back