Hlt/boil kettle

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScouseBrew

Reaction score
Would it be possible to use food grade steel drum to modify and use as hlt/kettle? They seem to be going pretty cheap on eBay?

Not too good on PC/phone thingies, but this is what I've spotted. There's even one for £10, unpainted but was used to transport essential oils?

image.png

What will your heat source be? Given these are 45 gallon drums that's a lot of weight before you start adding liquid, and from what I recall not the easiest things to move around. The paint would need to be removed too I should imagine, especially if you are thinking about gas burners. If you go down this route it might be better to cut them down to a more manageable size, and maybe add handles (unless of course you are looking to do 200l brews!)

Could they take a direct heat source or would there be a chance of the steel degrading with the prospect of a brew all over the floor... Failing that, elements. I agree about cutting them down to size but it's something I'll certainly look at when I start to convert the shed I to a brew den. Price wise, they're a lot cheaper than 50l stock pots etc

I converted one into a hot food smoker a few years ago. I have to say it didn't last more than a year. The steel isn't (or at least mine wasn't) stainless, and I suspect that, for the price, the ones you are thinking of aren't either. Have a look at the peco boilers on geterbrewed or HBC websites, members get 5% discount with them, so worth a look at least - no modifications required, heat source with them as well, so probably work out the same or even cheaper by the time you add up the cost of buying heat source for your barrel, bought taps, fittings etc....

Latest posts

Back