Hobgoblin Clone - When to enter which hops?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm kind of interested in this yeast but when I cultured up the yeast from a bottle of brakspear tripple (which is supposed to be similar to WLP023) there was loads of sulpher. MrsMQ wasnt impressed. Let us know if you get any sulpher smells from this strain

That sounds about right, there is lots of mention of sulphur smells in the reviews on the White Labs page.

Yup. White labs burton ale yeast.

No sulphur on my end.

I did no chill brew so adjusted the hop times accordingly.

Cannot wait. Ordered same stuff again. My new 'go to beer' has been born.

Its close. But it lacks a little 'something'.

Maybe to do with me missing OG by a few points. Cracking beer nevertheless.

Just cracked one open after 2 weeks in the bottle. This beer is great, I am extremely pleased with it. I did mine a bit differently, and added a bit of Munich malt to compensate for the fact that the grain had been crushed 8 weeks prior to brewing, as I kept putting it off because of the heat. Still, the taste is spot on, and close to the original:

4.3kg Maris Otter
360g Crystal
100g Chocolate
20g cane sugar
250g Munich
90min mash @ 67C with 24.5L
Heated to 75C for Mashout, and sparged until 26L for the boil.
14g EKG @60 min
14g Fuggles @ 60 min
64g Styrian Golding @ 15 min
16g Cascade @ 15 min
0.5 Protofloc @ 10 mins
Pitch a 1.5L Burton Ale yeast starter @ 21C, got 23L in the fv.
20 days in the fv, got 42 500ml bottles.

1.047 to 1.010, so about 5% after priming.

im waiting on a hobble whoble to chill in the fv, when took my fg it looked very muddy?/cloudy .so im hoping a cool spell will clear it before i bottle it,
did you batch prime?

Yeah, batch primed, I didn't jot down exactly how much but I think it was along the lines of 110g dextrose. Not sure why yours finished so low, perhaps you mashed at a lower temperature. I did mine at 67C, as the original is quite a sweet beer, but the Munich might have been responsible for some of the higher FG.

Just put the same brew back on, but this time with Nottingham Yeast as I forgot to order the white labs.

Still have a bottle or two of the white labs to compare with swell when its done :) - Although I keg in cornys now so will be comparing draught vs bottle also :)

Going to get a bottle and do a side by side taste test, plus blind taste test. Im that convinced its bang on.

Just curious, but why would you use cane sugar in an AG brew?

I've seen this in a number of AG recipes but always taken it out and upped the grain bill to hit the target OG, as I thought the use of sugar was bad?

Well, in this case I used it because it was in the recipe and it is an almost trivial amount so I wasn't concerned about it. More generally, sugar is integral to certain styles, particularly strong ones which would otherwise be too sweet and dense without it, such as IIPA and Belgian Dubbels / Triples / Quads. I suspect that sugar had a bad rep because it is a cheap way of upping the ABV without contributing anything other than thinness, and as such has been used for cheap brews for no reason other than being cheap, and to the detriment to the beer. In the right place there isn't anything wrong with it.

Back