home brew and camping trips

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theskipper1

Reaction score
I brew Cooper and Geordie kits and have been thinking how I can take some camping as I don't use bottlels. . My idea is to use the type of keg you get in supermarkets , remove the top bung you need to take the tag out first gently remove with a screw driver , wash out and sterilise and re fill I just intend to decant from my barrel into here for trip should be good for 7 days but I see no reason why we couldn't use one of these to secondry ferment in as the top bung is basically the pressure release... I would like you're thoughts on this or is there a 5 litre keg available to buy I have looked but failed to find one .. what I do like about this idea is once it is locked up it can't really leak ......

14592395482752142388161.jpg

Other people on here use those, I am sure if you keep the thread going they will comment and give you the information you are looking for.

Yes a very long thread about those.

If like me you have no shame, look in peoples recycling around this time (after bank holidays etc) and you may find the odd keg and swingtop bottle.

Also don't make the mistake I have done by filling a keg with high abv beer. Goood knows how I'm gonna finish that in 3-4 days of opening

Get a party star tap and it will last much longer. Be careful using recycled kegs. You don't know how long they have been empty. A mate kept me one from Christmas which I collected last week. On opening there was a strong smell of vinegar and the inside had began to rust.

Get a party star tap and it will last much longer. Be careful using recycled kegs. You don't know how long they have been empty. A mate kept me one from Christmas which I collected last week. On opening there was a strong smell of vinegar and the inside had began to rust.

Yes, the internal lining can deteriorate too!

I have used these too, but with a party tap that you connect the small co2 bulbs to. They work great. Just looked at my notes and used 11 to 15g of sugar to prime each keg. 1 co2 bulb used to easily dispensed a full 5l keg.
I had the party star deluxe tap.

Jay

Personally I don't use the gas ... prime as usual, close the vent between pours and it'll last as long as 10 pints.

Thank you for the response I learned a lot here i.e. you can buy the easy Keg and the bungs to stop it back up and that it's not a new idea but a good one nevertheless which is exellent nice to know it's quite popular ... the last Hobgoblin one I had I lobbed the top off and turned it into a flower pot !! That's the last time I do that .

You must have magic kegs because you can't get 10 pints in them

Ah but I said 'lasts as long as' and that's because I slow down a touch as I am aware I am drinking 500ml rather than 568ml. Or is it speeds up or am I just confused 😕

I could get quite a big fridge in my Berlingo as well as all the camping kit...
But are you looking for an electric cool box rather than a small fridge?

Will you always have a 240v hookup, or are you likely to be running off a battery with inverter.

You can get mini fridges - my son has one in his bedroom as there were issues with food theft when he was at uni a few years ago, but it's still 2/3 size of a normal under counter fridge

1700861483092.png

use these to take beer anywhere. tee piece and carb caps.

transfer beer into PET bottles from keg with t piece and then carb up and go. you can bring them anywhere . if you add a minireg and co2 cartridge and tap you can serve from the bottle.

1700861589916.png

View attachment 92275

use these to take beer anywhere. tee piece and carb caps.

transfer beer into PET bottles from keg with t piece and then carb up and go. you can bring them anywhere . if you add a minireg and co2 cartridge and tap you can serve from the bottle.

View attachment 92276
Just bought a load of these bits from the Kegland Aliexpress store to do similar as well as providing fizzy water at home.

Out of interest where did you those PET bottles and what size are they? I was planning on using 3L cider bottles from Iceland but they look better and possibly bigger.

Latest posts

Back