Homebrew ABV vs macrobrews ABV

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sqrson

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I've noticed that when I feel generous and share my homebrew with my mates, they always ask about the ABV cause they feel tipsy :drunk: more than usual after a commercial can/bottle. They are all used to drinking lagers of about 5% - 6% and are quite suprised when I tell them my beers are more or less same or even less than that.. I calculate the strenght of my beers as we all do using OG ad FG and know its quite accurate.. As I've also noticed the homebrew stuff seems to have more kick to it and am wondering why is that? Is it the live yeasts or commercial breweries are just lying to us and are too 'optimistic' with their ABV? Anyone noticed that too or am I just being paranoid

I've found this to be the case too.. put it down to lack of excessive additives/preservatives etc in home brew (less for your system to fight through = quicker and easier absorption = more drunk)

That said, one does plough through beer made to personal taste (and for practically nothing) quicker than shop bought, naturally... (well, I certainly do!)

Think you are right fellas :hat:. Drinking pace and maybe higher temp (than nearly frozen lager) would be responsible for the extra buzz. Well, gonna test that theory with few pints tonight :drink:

Good night for it!

I also think the non brewers "think" homebrew will be loopy juice, because there is an historical perception that it is, based on the rubbish keg 3% ales that kick started an interest in homebrew in the first place.

Good night for it!

I also think the non brewers "think" homebrew will be loopy juice, because there is an historical perception that it is, based on the rubbish keg 3% ales that kick started an interest in homebrew in the first place.

So how does that get them ****** quicker? I find I don't get ****** off my brew coz it took me a long time to make it. It is weaker than what me and my friends normally drink in the pub but we love it.

I have been making home brew since october 2013 and I seem to get tipsy quicker.Once or twice I have been realy drunk,and never had a hangover.Is this because of what is in home brew compared with pubs beer

Back