Hop help please...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint

Forum jester...🏅🏆
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello all
I want to brew an aipa...got loads of pale malt;crystal,carapils. ..not sure what I can do with the hops I've got...I could do a British pale or bitter but only have one pkt of cml American pale yeast left...
All in grammes...
Bram x 56
Columbus 89
Fuggle 90
Centennial 68
Challenger 94
Ekg 225
Cascade 55
First gold 27
Saaz 39
Progress 85
Citra 85
Simcoe 15
Hal hers 65
Amarillo 38
Apollo 80
Open to anything...mix it up!

That’s a lot of hops! Plenty in there for an American ipa. I think columbus, centennial and cascade as a combination is good, very classic west coast us ipa. I did a chinook/centennial/cascade beer which was nice.

Citra/Simcoe/Amarillo as a combo would be a very fruity maybe more modern American pale / ipa.

Cheers..I like the sound of Columbus, Centennial, cascade! Any suggestions on additions,times etc? AAU on these respectively....14.3,9,5.1

You’ve got plenty of Columbus at 60 mons to bitter to your desired IBU. I personally would then go with each of them in equal amounts at flameout and as dry hops. So that’s just over 25g of each at flameout and dry hop to use up your cascade.

I made a apollo ipa which was nice use it all and pimp with some of the other american hops which you have plenty of. I dont bitter hop when using loads of hops and bang it all in within last 20 or so mins and dry hops as well to keep the bittering low as I prefer to taste the hops and have a milder bitter background

Hello all
I want to brew an aipa...got loads of pale malt;crystal,carapils. ..not sure what I can do with the hops I've got...I could do a British pale or bitter but only have one pkt of cml American pale yeast left...
All in grammes...
<>
Open to anything...mix it up!

This might give you some inspiration. This one too, the Chinook is just a bittering hop

Any of the above. A combination of 3 from Centennial, Cascade, Citra, Simcoe, Amarillo will work. Personally, I would use 2 or 3 hops at flame out and for dry hopping, one hop at 15 minutes for a flavour addition. I'm also a fan of first wort hopping as it prevents boil overs and a as bittering addition it improves head retention. Perhaps using Columbus.

Right..I've had a play on the calculator and come up with this...
4kg pale
400g carapils
280g crystal
200g torrefied wheat
200g oats

Columbus 15g @ 60
Columbus,centennial,cascade..15g each @ 10 and repeat at flame out (80°c).
Dry hop
Columbus 44g
Centennial 38g
Cascade 20g
I have 38g of amaryllo and 15g of simcoe that needs to be used so could add this to the dry hop.
Oats...not used oats before..can I use porridge oats? @75% bhe 5.5%,ibu 44.
Comments please!

Ive used porridge oats a couple of times just stir during mash as it is possible to get stuck or add a few rice hulls if you are worried.
Sounds good to me plenty hoppy

Hi Clint stick em in didn't mean to alarm you your grain bill is larger than my standard bills and I have only had one stick so I just stir 3 or 4 times through the mash it also helps with the efficiency
Ps I dont use rice hulls it was just what ive read to stop stuck mashes. I generally use exactly what you do 200g torrified and 100 to 200 of oats as standard in my brews

I wouldn't think you have enough going on there and they might just get lost you've got over 200g without using amarillo etc

Latest posts

Back