Hop pellets

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mfc86

Reaction score
Hello...

Quite new to brewing and I've started a festival kit, golden glory, according to the instructions I pop my hop pellets in after 5 days...
Is this not a bit risky to open the lid and expose the brew to air.?
Any help would be much appreciated..

It is fine to lift the lid to pour the hops in. By the time you do it the wort will be beer and much less likely to pick up infection. Just don't go lifting the lid all the time at the start, although even then you'll most likely be fine.

Word of advice about the kit instructions, ignore them!

Advice on here will be to allow the beer to ferment for 2 weeks at least before bottling or kegging, then allow to carbonate for 2 weeks somewhere warm, then 2 weeks conditioning cold before you start drinking. Also don't put the hops in on day 5, add them around 3 days before you bottle or keg.

Hope that makes sense. Any other questions just ask.

There is always a small risk when opening the FV but if u spray the rim with sanitiser, pop them in and reseal Ul be ok. Because fermentation is still active the CO2 will push the oxygen out in no time.

It is fine to lift the lid to pour the hops in. By the time you do it the wort will be beer and much less likely to pick up infection. Just don't go lifting the lid all the time at the start, although even then you'll most likely be fine.

Word of advice about the kit instructions, ignore them!

Advice on here will be to allow the beer to ferment for 2 weeks at least before bottling or kegging, then allow to carbonate for 2 weeks somewhere warm, then 2 weeks conditioning cold before you start drinking. Also don't put the hops in on day 5, add them around 3 days before you bottle or keg.

Hope that makes sense. Any other questions just ask.

Brilliant... I was going to do 2 weeks fermentation.. 2 weeks carb 2 weeks conditioning will take advice about adding the pellets 3 days before...

Much appreciated đź‘Ť

Back