Hop socks / bags, spiders or not

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keruso

Regular.
Reaction score
I’m making IPAs mainly, often I’m putting 300-400g of hop pellets into the FV when dry hopping. My LHBS advice was to use a spider or bag given the large quantities of hops, I don’t cold crash so have stuck to using bags which are great at keeping hops from getting into the FV and therefore not clogging up the siphon when transferring to a second FV at bottling time, but the laws of physics would suggest I’m reducing contact between the hops and the beer simply by placing them in a container (the bag) and therefore reducing the impact the hops will have when dry hopping. I’m interested to hear your experience of putting larger quantities of pellets directly into FVs, do they sink and stay sunk and therefore don’t affect siphoning at bottling time, even without cold crashing? Thanks

I have usually used a hop bag but with increasing hop amounts and the use pellets I have moved away and just thrown them all in. I have been exploring hoping at different temps. Last neipa was dry hopped at 3c but may move back to 14c for my next one

Latest posts

Back