Hop stand additions

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, I am currently brewing s citra SMaSH and just added my hop stand additions and it occurred to me that I always leave my boil hops in the kettle during the hopstand and have no idea whether this is the correct thing to do or not? I would be interested to hear from others on whether they leave their boil hops in the kettle or remove them during a hop stand?

leaving the boil hops should not have negative impact on your beer. Generally speaking, the bittering effect happens above 80 to 90°C (alpha acid transformation) and the aromatic hop oils are either long boiled off in bittering additions or add little to flavour and aroma (late additions) at this stage. With a hop stand you want to create intense hop aromas in the finished beer without adding to the bitterness.

I always take them out when I do them which is not that often as I do mainly Whirlpool except for Bitters.
The only reason I take them out is that they will add extra IBU's which are not accounted for unless you show the same amount of hops as a whirlpool at 100c.
It does not really matter but to me it does because I find too much IBU's/Bitterness does not go with me but some brewers are fine with it so it is ok as long as it does not make the beer too bitter for each individual

Thanks for the replies, it is not really something that I have given a second thought about until today so just wondered what the general consensus was

Back