Hop Stand Times

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hops_and_Dreams

Landlord.
Reaction score
I've been wondering if it might be worth leaving my flame out hops in for 60min before cooling, to see if this makes a difference to the hoppyness.

At the moment I do 20-30mins, depending on how impatient I'm feeling.

What do you guys do? Anyone done a side by side comparison?

I know I could search on Google, but I'm interested to know some real life results.

Cheers.

I do 20 mins. Word of warning though. When I tried steeping/ hop teas for an hour + I got astringency in my beers. Wether you would with steeping in wort/hop stand I dont know as I've never done one more than 20 mins

Ive only just started on the AG, but I read somewhere that the flame out hops shouldn't go in until temperature has reduced down to 80C. Although I can't remember why.......
I haven't experimented with length of time yet.

Ive only just started on the AG, but I read somewhere that the flame out hops shouldn't go in until temperature has reduced down to 80C. Although I can't remember why.......
I haven't experimented with length of time yet.

over 80C and hop oils that give flavour and aroma get boiled off. Having said that some of the oils boil off at about 65C so some people do their HS' at about that temp. I aim for anout 70C but as I'm doing a micro boil (3L) my wort cools too fast so I usually ed up doing my HS' at about 60C-65C

About as long as it takes to faff around gettin the hose through the window and connecting the chiller.

Oh and chucking dirty glasses etc in the sink to be filled with hot water out the coil ;-)

I do 20 mins. Word of warning though. When I tried steeping/ hop teas for an hour + I got astringency in my beers. Wether you would with steeping in wort/hop stand I dont know as I've never done one more than 20 mins

Do you think this could be due to using water? I'm sure I read somewhere that it alters the flavour?

Do you think this could be due to using water? I'm sure I read somewhere that it alters the flavour?

I'm unsure. Could be. As I say I've never done a steep/hop stand in wort more than 20 mins.But I think hops may well have different reaction in hops vs water. The only way to truly know is to try a hop stand for an hour or so. Definatley one of my, ' I wonder what would happen if...' experiments

Have you noticed any difference doing this?

If I'm totally honest, not really, at least not in terms of how forward the hops are. Although I have only tried it the once in a pale ale I'm currently drinking, Cascade, Amarillo and Citra.... But as far as I know right now, steeping above 65 degrees drives off the the myrcene, (among other oils) whereas steeping below 65 preserves it so, theoretically, hop fade wont be such an issue. at least thats how I understand the steeping theory so far.
The only thing I have noticed is there is a good smell and taste of lychee, that comes from the Cascade, and previously its faded quicker than this... Coincidentally Cascade has high myrcene levels (45-60%) so I'm interested to see how this ale tastes in another few months.

If I'm totally honest, not really, at least not in terms of how forward the hops are. Although I have only tried it the once in a pale ale I'm currently drinking, Cascade, Amarillo and Citra.... But as far as I know right now, steeping above 65 degrees drives off the the myrcene, (among other oils) whereas steeping below 65 preserves it so, theoretically, hop fade wont be such an issue. at least thats how I understand the steeping theory so far.
The only thing I have noticed is there is a good smell and taste of lychee, that comes from the Cascade, and previously its faded quicker than this... Coincidentally Cascade has high myrcene levels (45-60%) so I'm interested to see how this ale tastes in another few months.

Sounds like it might be worthwhile then.
I may try 45 mins next brew day, will be an excuse to have another beer.

Interesting this follows on from tonys thread I guess but you think the hop fade is less with this method??

I have felt that a hop stand is generally longer lasting than a dry hop..

I did my first 60c steep a few weeks ago. Tasted the beer for the first time yesterday and the hop presence was far more pronounced than any of my previous beers.

Interesting this follows on from tonys thread I guess but you think the hop fade is less with this method??

I have felt that a hop stand is generally longer lasting than a dry hop..

I think so, so far. But I could be wrong.
Another thing, with this brew I tipped in the steeping hops at 65* not at flameout, so it's kind of a double whammy effect. If this brew still has the lychee flavour in ten days I'll say that it's does make a difference.

I think so, so far. But I could be wrong.
Another thing, with this brew I tipped in the steeping hops at 65* not at flameout, so it's kind of a double whammy effect. If this brew still has the lychee flavour in ten days I'll say that it's does make a difference.

Oh right, I do always put them in when at temp..

I have the chiller in..fire it up when its down to 80 off chuck them in and put the lid on.. so what you'd do is the same but 65.. interesting stuff :thumb:

Oh right, I do always put them in when at temp..

I have the chiller in..fire it up when its down to 80 off chuck them in and put the lid on.. so what you'd do is the same but 65.. interesting stuff :thumb:

Yup, basically.
But I always used to lob the hops in at flameout when the wort is obviously still at 99* or so, thinking that the boil off would be minimal.
I've used Cascade a lot and have definitely noticed a difference in flavours you can coax from them depending on when they go in.
I also hold the kettle at 80/65* on the thermostat too.

Oh, I just chuck them in at switch-off, leave for 20 minutes then drain the still hot wort into the FV.
Mind you, I have a very poor sense of smell - I had some smoked saison last year and though it was very nice I could barely smell any smokiness at all though the rest of the family said it smelled like a bonfire...:lol:

Latest posts

Back