Hop timings...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint

Forum jester...🏅🏆
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello all
On my schedule is a Gumball Head Three Floyd's clone. It's an American wheat but with US 05,or similar yeast
Simple grain bill of 2.6kg wheat,2.2kg pale and 400g caravienna. Hops list as all Amarillo. OG 1.050,FG1.011,5.2%35IBU
Method is first wort hops,then 60,15,5,1.Then dry hop.
I'm considering bitter with magnum at 60 then just do whirlpool and a dry hop..
Never done first wort...what's that likely to do?
My research also finds high Krausen additions...what's that do?
The original batch of 23l would see me using 130g of Amarillo at 7.9aau..i got 200g...

I always add the bittering hops at FW as I have found that this leads to a stress free transition from heating to boil, as with whole hops, there is much reduced chance of a boil over. Should also boost bittering utilisation, I guess.

My rationale for FW is that the hops provide points for the formation of bubbles earlier in the boiling process and these are easier to neutralise by gentle stirring prior to the potential boil-over.

I would use high alpha hops for bittering, unless I were doing an old English beer (Durden Park), where the end product sort of demands lots of lower alpha hops for the (only) bittering addition.

GH (I think) feels that hop flavour and aroma are more persistent with an element of "cooking-in", as opposed to just DH.

Latest posts

Back