Hoppy Copper

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

welshboy

Reaction score
Just brewed the Wilko Hoppy Copper with 500g of medium spray malt and 500g of sugar as an experiment smells great! I was going to add a hop tea to half the brew when fermented to give it a real hoppy taste. :cheers:

anyone else brewed it?

This was one of my early brews using a Muntons beer enhancer and I have to say I was disappointed. However it did get better with age. I put it down to it being a one can kit. It was alright but not as hoppy as I expected. IMO best after at least a month in the keg.

Good luck hope it turns out to your liking.

Haven't been on here in ages - work and family taking priority.

I actually started the Hoppy Copper this morning. I always brew these one can kits to 20 pints only, without any additiona. Last time it came out quite well but certainly improved with age, bottled. An everyday beer - nothing special.

BTW, Wilko seem to have reduced prices on most of their homebrew kits. I picked up three Geordie kits, Bitter, Scottish and Winter Warmer at £9 each. These will also be brewed to 20 pints only. So I can fill my bottles once again, ready for winter. Another task waiting is an all grain Blonde Belgian - had the ingredients since January this year :cry:.

Anyway hope your Hoppy Copper comes out fine.

I started one of these last night. Made it up to 16 liters instead of 23 - was a little disappointed to find the OG was only 1.049 but I guess it will come out at around 5% so some improvement on the 4% it's supposed to be.

Was planning on dry hopping it in secondary to boost the hoppy-ness. Got some left over aroma hops should do the trick

@Klauss - how strong does yours come out at with just 20 pints? This was my first experiment with reducing the water and i wasn't bold enough to go so low!
I do like my beer around 6% though - ideally ;-)

I started an Xmas brew with a can of this and a wilko stout to make a two can recipe yesterday. Added two cans of treacle, some cocoa and a small amount of cinnamon. Tasted great, bubbling away like mad now!

I take it you like the taste of treacle, Nobby!

Half a can is quite noticable in a stout. Maybe you could try some on Bonfire Night. :cheers:

Ok so I added 40grams of East Kent Goldings in a muslin bag and dry hopped of 3 days before I bottled, conditioned for 14 days, may crack in to it later :D

Oh well, tried it last night and it tasted like a nice bitter, but no hoppy taste at all?

This was my 2nd brew. I still have some left in a keg - soon to be gone as friends are round Wendesday night:drunk: (need the keg empty for my Wilko Stout, ready for Xmas)

I was really impressed with this. As other posts suggest, not as hoppy as expected and I reckon more golden in colour than copper.

Nevertheless, after a good month of maturing, it was a very enjoyable pint with a slightly sweet malty flavour. A good improvement on my first brew last year.

(Brewed with Munton's 500g Medium spraymalt, 600g sugar - brewed short to 19l. Primed in the keg with 150g of sugar for a 'medium' fizz)
:cheers:

Ive just chucked one of these kits in the FV over the weekend, added 1kg Muntons BKE, 300g brown soft sugar and two heaped tablespoons of honey. Brewing it short to 18L, cant remember what the SG was (wrote it down on calendar so will look later).

I have 100g of East Kent Goldings pellets but not sure how best to use them, any advice to get this brew reasonably hoppy?

Ive just chucked one of these kits in the FV over the weekend, added 1kg Muntons BKE, 300g brown soft sugar and two heaped tablespoons of honey. Brewing it short to 18L, cant remember what the SG was (wrote it down on calendar so will look later).

I have 100g of East Kent Goldings pellets but not sure how best to use them, any advice to get this brew reasonably hoppy?

SG was 1048

Oh well, tried it last night and it tasted like a nice bitter, but no hoppy taste at all?

Dry hopping generally only adds aroma rather than flavour

You need to add hops to brew when boiling before fermentation for bitterness/taste

Just made one of these as my first ever attempt at a beer (usually do wine). Made it up to the full 23 litres and first impressions straight out of the FV are that it's a little thin. Will bottle it and see if time makes any difference.

Just made one of these as my first ever attempt at a beer (usually do wine). Made it up to the full 23 litres and first impressions straight out of the FV are that it's a little thin. Will bottle it and see if time makes any difference.

That's what I thought the first time I did this, best brewed short to 20ltr with some mdme in place of some of the sugar.

I usually add around 30-40g of hop pellets about three or four days before transferring to secondary and bottle straight away.
I am no expert but I have to disagree that dry hopping with pellets adds aroma only,I am far too tight to be wasting money like that if that was the case !
The hop pellets can transform a kit.
The new kits out now will supply anything up to 100g of pellets to chuck in and some of them will blow you away they are so hoppy.
Cheers and good luck

Back