Hot Weather Preparations

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd give you a lift old timer.​
Wouldn’t say “No” to the lift …

… but let’s have a bit less of the “old timer”! Remember the saying:

“I may not be as good
as I once was …
… but I’m as good once
as I ever was!”
asad.asad.asad.
PS
The emoji is just to add a touch of reality!

I use Fahrenheit for brewing, if only because when I acquired the Mrs she came with an old school dairy thermometer which I'm still using. It has a clearly marked line at 150 for pasteurisation which just happens to be mash temperature.
Most people don't realise it is a centigrade scale, because that's how numbers work. It's just that Mr F happened to be working on parrafin rather than water. Of course these days we all collect ice to heat up to make cups of tea which is arguably easier to understand.

I think all this palaver about "hot weather" is total ****. You can't tell me the UK hasn't been this hot outside the "since recorded times" .
Two days of nice weather and its a travesty...

The only thermometer in our house is on my Cygnet. I was interested in the temperature on Monday, so I sat it on the table on the patio, under an umbrella.

My main problem is trying to keep my bottled beers cool. I’ve got about 200 on the garage floor. I’ve just covered them with towels and give them regular sprays of water.

Attachments

• A0224352-FC93-4500-89E1-BF1ABE23F369.jpeg
    A0224352-FC93-4500-89E1-BF1ABE23F369.jpeg
    70.9 KB · Views: 0
It's much cooler here today the Met office predicted a top temperature of 15c at 3pm l think they won't be far off.

Having a veranda around the house makes a huge difference, keeps the sun off the walls a ceiling fan in each room and you will barely need aircon. Our aircon goes on 3 or 4 times a summer and we go to 49C

I'll forward your suggestion to my elderly auntie living in a flat 3rd floor flat in Manchester.

Screenshot (79).png

They were blethering on on radio 4 the other day about how we need to build houses to cope with higher temperatures. Really? I would have thought concentrating on the 9 months of the year when you need your heating on was more of a priority.

The issue is the infrastructure nor housing was designed for these extreme temps.
Frankly the temps we have been experiencing are terrifying.

Kind of proves what scientists have been warning in regards to global warming for years.

I'm dubious about predictions...the data is based on a small amount of recorded history,200 years of so which isn't worth anything in the grand scheme of things.
In that same time span Britain went into a mini ice age.

I'm dubious about predictions...the data is based on a small amount of recorded history,200 years of so which isn't worth anything in the grand scheme of things.
In that same time span Britain went into a mini ice age.
The predictions were an increase globally in the amount and intensity of extreme weather events.

At the moment Europe & the US are experiencing record breaking temps.

I remember in June 1976 we had snow at school ! a few months later there were water bowsers in the streets and we couldn't flush the loo's because of the drought.
This was near Oxford and I still had hair! 🤣 must have been a long time ago!

We don’t understand a scale that starts at 32 and ends at 212 obviously some foreign concoction. Only the Daily Express in the uk uses the F for freaky scale, 😂😂
PS
strangely no one says it’s 27F always C. Ie minus 3.
All I hope is that whoever becomes Capt Mainwaring in the current leadership race abandons this stupid idea of going back to imperial measurements. It really is a load of bolleaux.

Which strain are you using out of curiosity I mostly use Voss or Hornindial as they are the strains that are easy to get dry. I’ve run Voss yo at 40°C before and while nice it is definitely not neutral at that temperature as has no doubt being mentioned by others it gives a distinct orange like flavour at that temperature although with the right beer this is by no means a bad thing.
It’s a Voss on a pale ale.
it’s been 25-30C for 3 days and is now below 1010, so super fast and nearly there already!
Crystal, mosaic & citra so I’m after something fruity.
Thinking of harvesting the yeast for a pineapple beer next.

Back