Hot Weather Preparations

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've put me shorts on. That'll do.
20220718_150607.jpg

I think you just have to suck it up. What you all going to do when you start getting close to the 50 C temperatures.

Opening widows in house would only heat me up more and make the Mrs angry. :oops:
Please check the (*) in the OP.

Also, last night we fitted a spare roll of aluminium bubble wrap to various windows and doors - but as very few people will have a “spare roll of aluminium bubble wrap” available I didn’t include it in the OP.
athumb..

Please check the (*) in the OP.

Also, last night we fitted a spare roll of aluminium bubble wrap to various windows and doors - but as very few people will have a “spare roll of aluminium bubble wrap” available I didn’t include it in the OP.
athumb..
I did , my mrs has no problems with opening windows when appropriate its the widows she has the issue with :laugh8:

10 gallons of water in 2 litre bottles ready for when both electricity and water supply fails. Thats 23 2 litre bottles for the mathematically challenged. I also have 10 2 litre bottles of drinking water in the garage. 1 bottle of dark star hophead in fridge.
Priorities. I have 200 litres of cool beer and a 2-litre bottle of water on the worktop in case of some emergency I can’t fathom.

I do also have a couple of bottles of chilled tonic water to go with my gin!

I’m using the heatwave to brew a Kveik pale ale - my first attempt with this yeast.
It’s been running at 35C during the day and 25C overnight so looks like it will be done in three days.

I have restocked the fridge for later. Soon I will prep some chicken as hot or not tonight is curry night!
Then this afternoon I'm going to watch the Elvis film at the cinema...which will be air conditioned.

I’m using the heatwave to brew a Kveik pale ale - my first attempt with this yeast.
It’s been running at 35C during the day and 25C overnight so looks like it will be done in three days.
Which strain are you using out of curiosity I mostly use Voss or Hornindial as they are the strains that are easy to get dry. I’ve run Voss yo at 40°C before and while nice it is definitely not neutral at that temperature as has no doubt being mentioned by others it gives a distinct orange like flavour at that temperature although with the right beer this is by no means a bad thing.

I think the orange / marmalade flavour stood out and,for me was wrong in the beer I used it in.
I do plan to make a wheat beer this week and have no suitable yeast...but think I may have a dry kveik lurking in the fridge. Wonder what it would turn out like?

Last edited:
I pitched Voss into a Sierra Nevada Celebration IPA on Sunday evening. It's in a conservatory that got up to 42C yesterday.
I've wrapped it up in a big coat to try and regulate the temperature a bit, but it seems happy and sitting at 34C.
I was going to use US-05 but even the coldest room is at 25C, so that was out of the question.

I can't see that orangey flavours from kveik in a pale ale would be much different from orangey flavours from using first gold or prima donna.
I think to get the full flavours you have to ferment at high temperatures and seriously underpitch. At least that's what it says in Carshol's `Historical brewing Techniques'.

I can't see that orangey flavours from kveik in a pale ale would be much different from orangey flavours from using first gold or prima donna.
I think to get the full flavours you have to ferment at high temperatures and seriously underpitch. At least that's what it says in Carshol's `Historical brewing Techniques'.
Yes definitely underpitch, I use 1/3rd of a sachet of CML Voss and keep the temp high. It does give a orangey flavour which if doing a fruity IPA will compliment it, some people get a slightly acidic taste as I suppose this would go with the citrus taste

True but if you're brewing with other hops for a different flavour profile ( i.e Mosaic, Cascade, Citra ) that orangeyness would be out of place - at least for my taste.

Not used Kweik yet, apart from ability to brew at high temps what are it's other attractions ?

Hi Tanglefoot, obviously the speed of fermentation but it also does not need to clean up so less chance of getting off flavours

Latest posts

Back