How dangerous is it?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeB.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found myself going down a rabbit hole and reading about the hazards of verdigris on copper, which got me wondering about how dangerous home-brew is/ or isn’t.

Do you know anybody who has gotten ill from consumption of home brewed beer (excluding through overindulgence) and if so what was the cause?

Had to Google that 🤣 , not to underplay safety I don't think it's a problem, at what stage do you suggest that the copper oxidisation would enter the process ?

Possibly when running wort through a chiller, but up until yesterday I’d never even heard of it, so I’ve honestly no idea how big a deal or likely it is.

My copper chiller lives in the shed, gets dumped in the wort as required, removed, scrubbed in the sink under the hot tap,then put back in the shed.
I made it myself,it's not pretty and leaks a bit outside the kettle.

If you have the slighest doubt, go stainless or just don't chill which is better still imo.

You can clean copper easily, by soaking it in citric acid solution (lemon juice)

I have only concerned myself about the outside of the coil and you can see that! A visual inspection gives you the answer.

Last edited:
If you are concerned don't use copper, but frankly even without hard scientific evidence you'd probably have to brew 1000s of litres before there's even be a tiniest detectable amount of whatever. There are plenty of people who ask me is the beer safe to drink, my answer "of course it is, I made it!".

Verdi gris is the result of reaction with acetic acid (aka Ethanoic Acid), which isn't a component of unfermemented wort. Some breweries still boil in copper kettles.

"Copper is relatively inert to both wort and beer. With regular use, it will build up a stable oxide layer (dull copper color) that will protect it from any further interaction with the wort. Only minimal cleaning to remove surface grime, hop bits and wort protein is necessary. There is no need to clean copper shiny-bright after every use or before contact with your wort. It is better if the copper is allowed to form a dull copper finish with use. " ~ John Palmer November 2007

Last edited:
Verdi gris is the result of reaction with acetic acid (aka Ethanoic Acid), which isn't a component of unfermemented wort. Some breweries still boil in copper kettles.

"Copper is relatively inert to both wort and beer. With regular use, it will build up a stable oxide layer (dull copper color) that will protect it from any further interaction with the wort. Only minimal cleaning to remove surface grime, hop bits and wort protein is necessary. There is no need to clean copper shiny-bright after every use or before contact with your wort. It is better if the copper is allowed to form a dull copper finish with use. " ~ John Palmer November 2007
👏👏

.. And many distilleries

Something with so many benefits can never be a downgrade.

I brewed the other morning and simultaneously made 8 loafs for the week. And was done by ten.

Something with so many benefits can never be a downgrade.

I brewed the other morning and simultaneously made 8 loafs for the week. And was done by ten.
What would you say are the benefits of no chill? Other than the obvious time/water savings.

This is a genuine question rather than trying to be dismissive

Latest posts

Back