How long does active fermentation last in a wheat beer kit?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerMe

Reaction score
The bowl for my blow-off tube has been bubbling away regularly for the past 24 hours. It sounds like an absolute racket when our wee flat is quiet :laugh8:

How long does this phase of the fermentation usually last, and how long after it starts to settle should I begin taking gravity readings? I've heard wildly conflicting times, anything from 3-5 days (wheat beer-specific?) to the full 2 weeks for fermentation to be considered finished.

I was planning on taking readings from around day 8 and every 2 days thereafter, til I have 2 same readings. Should I stick with that plan?

Personally I would just leave it for two weeks and then check for every couple of days after that. Your plan of 8 is not a bad one, especially for a wheat beer, if you want it bottled/kegged sooner than that. A lot of it depends on temperature, amount of yeast and SG. The yeast still has lots of stuff to do even after the initial period of booze creation.

I would leave it 2 weeks myself. If you bottle and carbonate, it will be pretty much fine at 4 weeks.
Wheat beers are very quick to be ready to drink, so certain type of person might start after only a single week in the bottle athumb..

Back