How many breweries lie about IPA'S?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The problem is IPA means many things to different people - in fact, it's a meaningless term as it's used so widely.

You may find this surprising but as a long-term ale drinker, IPA was always the beer of choice for the driver amongst me and my mates because generally it was often the weekest beer on the handpump e.g. Greene King IPA and Wadworth Henry's IPA. So I've always associated the term IPA with weak beer, and it's been like that since I started frequenting pubs in the late 70s. My boss also used to always go for IPA at lunchtime, as it was a weakish beer.

It's only relatively recently that IPA has come to mean strong, hoppy beer in some cicles.

Foreign influences affect a lot.

The current IPA (atleast the citrus explotion which a lot of people want) comes from America.
Your notion about higher percentage beers? That comes from the continent.
One of the things I like about the UK is the availability of lower percentage specialty beers.
Sometimes in the Netherlands they have 20 taps with 10 beers which are above 9%. That doesn't leave me well for tasting haha.

Back