How much beer is too much?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duxuk

Landlord.
Reaction score
HM Govt. are now saying that no alcohol consumption is safe. That a safe level is an old wives tale. This article is very good and confirms the long held belief that moderate consumption gives the highest life expectancy.
It also dares to suggest that we habitually under report our consumption. We buy twice as much alcohol than we claim to drink. This means that you really need to be going for it to reduce your life expectancy to that of a teetotaller.
https://health.spectator.co.uk/the-...c-health-bodies-hid-the-truth-about-drinking/

Whilst it's true that over-consumption of alcohol will shorten your life, the weekly unit guidelines are completely arbitrary. The Govt. should really take an evidence-based approach.

The Govt. should really take an evidence-based approach.

They should bloody well keep their noses out. It's like fishing at the river bank and some government official tapping you on the shoulder and pointing out that such a pastime statistically increases your risk of drowning by x amount. Apart from being wrong, so what? But ye they want us dead, so zero alcohol has to be the worst choice. I'm off for a cig and to choose tonight's beer selection. Chin chin!

I would disagree with that. Obviously there should always be choice but I think it's reasonable and responsible for them to provide guidance on safe limits. Those figures shouldn't be plucked from the air however.

I would disagree with that. Obviously there should always be choice but I think it's reasonable and responsible for them to provide guidance on safe limits. Those figures shouldn't be plucked from the air however.

So where do they get their 'let's change the goalposts every five minutes' figures from? How many things are bad for for you this year, which were last year's superfoods and vice verse? It's cobblers, all of it. Ok having 12 pints in one go and suffering the consequences of such inebriation and the inevitable physical toll should be pretty obvious but apart from that, nah, I'm not having it. And still it ain't got a damn thing to do with them.

But then government guidelines state drinking more than a couple of pints of 4% beer in one go is a “binge”. They then wonder why people ignore their “advice”

Well we all know what you do....I bet myqul is dribbling over those contraptions you knock up...in fact I bet he'd buy them for many hundreds of pounds.....

Well we all know what you do....I bet myqul is dribbling over those contraptions you knock up...in fact I bet he'd buy them for many hundreds of pounds.....

Funny you should say that!

Yesterday, for the first time, I used an old office chair that a mate had given me. Sitting on the chair alongside the Mash Tun to get the wort clear and then to add extra sparge water I didn't notice anything awry, until I wanted to stand up. I then discovered that the chair had slowly descended to a level where getting up was a whole new experience in pain and frustration!

I hope my mate never wants his chair back because, after tidying up the garage, I spent an extra hour making sure that it will never descend again!:gulp:

Latest posts

Back