How to make a face mask

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SWMBO works in a care home (i know i have mentioned this several times) and the problem with these type of masks is they do not seal around the nose, the ones the care home have supplied have a metal strip that you bend round your nose to make it a good fit, i suppose anything is better than nothing but these home made masks could give you a false sense of security.

It is my understanding that most non medical masks are only reasonably effective in stopping the spread of viruses from the person wearing them. And that's assuming they are kept completely tight on the face and are regularly cleaned. They do not prevent the wearer from becoming infected from a third party.
Medical grade masks offer better protection. That's why health professionals are using them

It is my understanding that most non medical masks are only reasonably effective in stopping the spread of viruses from the person wearing them. And that's assuming they are kept completely tight on the face and are regularly cleaned. They do not prevent the wearer from becoming infected from a third party.
Medical grade masks offer better protection. That's why health professionals are using them

On the link it states that a homemade mask is 30% less effective than a surgical mask. Yes you will still inhale some virus but the mask protects to a certain extent. It's actually more effective at protecting others than yourself acording to the link

I think supermarkets (as well as public transport) are particularly bad as there are loads of people in them, despite what they've been trying to do to ensure social distancing. Because of pinch points in the aisles It's almost impossible not to come very close to other people

Last edited:
Unless you are wearing a respirator that completely seals and protects your face and eyes you will be inhaling/shedding virus. I agree that something is probably better than nothing but it’s frustrating to see so many people wearing masks that will ultimately achieve bugger all

Unless you are wearing a respirator that completely seals and protects your face and eyes you will be inhaling/shedding virus. I agree that something is probably better than nothing but it’s frustrating to see so many people wearing masks that will ultimately achieve bugger all

According to the link you will be spreading/shedding a lot less virus than if you wear a mask than if you dont. So if 80% of the population wear a mask you can contain the virus. Wearing a mask is more about you stopping giving the virus to others than protecting yourself from others giving it to you. Then as a collective we can all stop the virus. The only reason we're not doing it here is because the Government cant get hold of the masks. If the Government suddenly made a recommendation (or even made it compulsory) to wear masks then (quite rightly) the population would ask, 'where do I get one from?'.

I think the public have a misunderstanding about wearing a mask. People have heard that it doesn't protect you 100% so they think, 'why bother then?' I dont think it works like that. We're exposed to pathogens all the time but we dont get sick all the time. This is because until the pathogen gets to a certain concentration we can handle usually handle it. All the mask does (protecting you rather than protecting others from you) is lower our exposure to the virus a little bit so we hopefully don't get to that tipping point were our immune system cant handle it anymore. Every little helps

Last edited:
We're exposed to pathogens all the time but we dont get sick all the time. This is because until the pathogen gets to a certain concentration we can handle usually handle it.

I’m not sure that is an accurate statement to be honest, at least where a virus is concerned

I’m not sure that is an accurate statement to be honest, at least where a virus is concerned

Which bit? We get exposed to seasonal flu viruses every winter.
Although I think you may well be right, about how viruses work. It seems we all need to wear a mask to stop us spreading droplets containing the virus about a bit like how social distancing stops us all passing the virus between us rather than using the mask to protect ourselves

Last edited:

Correct.

According to the OP link It seems that any sort of face covering will drastically reduce people spreading droplets/the virus about. It's clear that the Governement are really struggling to source face masks but the population at large could make their own. It's only health care workers who need to wear medical grade face mask. So why hasnt our government given strong suggestions (even making it manditory) to wear facemasks when out and about. Explaining how your protecting your neighbour and in turn your neighbour is protecting you

Which bit? We get exposed to seasonal flu viruses every winter.
Although I think you may be right, about how viruses work. It seems we all need to wear a mask to stop us spreading droplets containing the virus about a bit like how social distancing stops us all passing the virus between us rather than using the mask to protect ourselves
That's not how these homemade masks are 'sold' though. It's the headline 'wear a mask' to stop CV-19 spreading that pulls people in. Its not until you read the small print (just like in the stuff that accompanied the mask in the OP) that you realise it's to stop folks spreading as donors rather than becoming infected as recipients. But most folks dont get that far.
If you actually told folks upfront that the masks wouldn't stop them getting infected, their interest would be much less, and they might actually be less inclined to wear a mask on the off-chance they might be a carrier, since for them it's too late and, more likely, why should they give a monkeys about infecting the bloke they happen to be standing next to in the supermarket queue.

That's not how these homemade masks are 'sold' though. It's the headline 'wear a mask' to stop CV-19 spreading that pulls people in. Its not until you read the small print (just like in the stuff that accompanied the mask in the OP) that you realise it's to stop folks spreading as donors rather than becoming infected as recipients. But most folks dont get that far.
If you actually told folks upfront that the masks wouldn't stop them getting infected, their interest would be much less, and they might actually be less inclined to wear a mask on the off-chance they might be a carrier, since for them it's too late and, more likely, why should they give a monkeys about infecting the bloke they happen to be standing next to in the supermarket queue.

All true. It needs to be sold to people that your neighbour is protecting you and your family and you an your family are protecting your neighbour. Either that or just fine people who are out and about without masks. Fining people who are out and about without a good reason seems to be working in France and Spain

dlvHqYONHqGZLIg-800x450-noPad.jpg

I think that is the point.
But what would be good is if the government would just say - cover your face and wear gloves in public to help prevent the spread.
They don't have to say "mask". Virtually everyone has a scarf, You can use a strip of teeshirt or other clothing, but you can upgrade later. It's not a law - just a good idea right now, because many people don't even know they are infected.

Poland is lifting the restrictions in May, but the rule is.....wear a mask and gloves in public.
We could all be doing this overnight if they said the word.

Regarding viral load vs deaths there has to be a reason for the high numbers of deaths of doctors and nursing staff. Maybe time is a factor? If you get a high viral infection load all in one go, the replication rate is so much higher sooner, so maybe your body can't fight such a huge "army" as easily as only a small number. Possinly those asymtomatic patients only had a few virus particles to start with and their body recognised them in time enough to overcome the numbers.

Last edited:
It's clear that the Governement are really struggling to source face masks but the population at large could make their own. It's only health care workers who need to wear medical grade face mask.

If you keep a safe distance from other people surely there is little point in the general public wearing masks..

If you keep a safe distance from other people surely there is little point in the general public wearing masks..

But what's a safe distance? When you consider;

"A cough can travel as fast as 50 mph and expel almost 3,000 droplets in just one go. Sneezes win though—they can travel up to 100 mph and create upwards of 100,000 droplets. Yikes"

https://www.lung.org/blog/sneeze-versus-cough
Is 2m really enough, Perhaps just for generally breathing?

But what's a safe distance? When you consider;

"A cough can travel as fast as 50 mph and expel almost 3,000 droplets in just one go. Sneezes win though—they can travel up to 100 mph and create upwards of 100,000 droplets. Yikes"

If people do as requested and stay at home it doesnt matter how far acough can travel.

For those that have to go work (like you and me) maybe wearing a mask could help but having heard what SWMBO said about wearing one i think i will give it a miss, i don't come into close contact with the public so maybe they could bring a rule in saying all those that do have to wear one.

If people do as requested and stay at home it doesnt matter how far acough can travel.

For those that have to go work (like you and me) maybe wearing a mask could help but having heard what SWMBO said about wearing one i think i will give it a miss, i don't come into close contact with the public so maybe they could bring a rule in saying all those that do have to wear one.

Yes they're not comfortable to wear and hard to breath in. I've been wearing one when going to the shops and I'm glad to take off again when I get home. I'd wear one when at work but I dont think I could bear to wear one all day

Yes they're not comfortable to wear and hard to breath in. I've been wearing one when going to the shops and I'm glad to take off again when I get home. I'd wear one when at work but I dont think I could bear to wear one all day

There is also a problem of contamination i read an article that said once you put the mask on you should keep it on if you remove it you should bin it as you have to treat it as contaminated and wash your hands.

Last edited:
There is also a problem of contamination i read an article that said once you put the mask on you should keep it on if you remove it from you should bin it as you have to treat it as contaminated and wash your hands.

Your right. In my op link they say to carefully take the mask off and drop it straight in some soapy water

Back