Howdy. Opinions on Woodford wherry /safale 05 +cascade

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrHopper

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm new to the forum but have done some brewing before. I am planning a brew and am up for suggestions /opinions. I've got a Woodford wherry kit which I'm gonna brew with safale 05. Then dry hop with some leftover challenger /cascade pellets from a festival golden stag kit (about 15-20g). I'm new to dry hopping. Would it be too much to put the hops in from the start of primary fermentation or put them in 5 day before primary is complete as per the festival kits.? I just finished a golden stag brew where I put the whole 50g in for about 2 weeks) and it was awesome if slightly too bitter! Hence the left over hops. Anyone tried anything like this? Cheers

I like a high level of bitterness and would go for dry hopping in the barrel rather than during fermenting. If you are bottling then dry hopping during fermentation is your option to go for. Never done this before but why not experiment?

Dry hopping won't add bitterness as such, that comes from boiling the hops in the wort. Doing it in the fv will add aroma, but don't add the hops too early as they are very volatile and most of the aroma oils will evaporate with the c02, add them in the last 2 or 3 days as fermentation slows.

wherry is a great kit (one of my favorites). I did my last one with a hop tea bag of ekg. I added this when I transferred into a 2nd fv for clearing and left it for 5 days then transferred to corny. Its very nice and added more aroma to it but I think next time ill add more as it was only 12g

So does leaving the hops in the fv for longer actually
reduce their impact rather than intensifying?

Is there an advantage of making a hop tea to add as part of the liquid for primary fermentation? If so, how long should pellets/hops be boiled for! Cheers

I don't know matey. I used the hop tea as it was easy to use. Just boil kettle and fill mug with boiling water and then add tea bag for 10 mins. Then add it all to your fv. I was told to add it at around day 5 after main fermentation had slowed down and will add more aroma to the brew but I added it into 2nd fv when clearing for 5 days

Back