Hydrometer help

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohemmings

Reaction score
Hi guys,

So come this Friday I would have been brewing for 2 weeks.

I will be using my hydrometer today, tomorrow and Friday to ensure a stable reading. But I’m not really too sure what I should be looking at, I’ve made the reading none the less at around 10 which is on the black line on the column under ‘990’

Does this sound right?

I only got a hydrometer yesterday so I haven’t got a reading when I first started. Does this mean I cant calculate ABV?

I’ve made the reading none the less at around 10 which is on the black line on the column under ‘990’

I not quite sure what you mean here but if you mean the reading is on the black line, if your hydrometer is like mine, the reading will be 1.010. This sound right as I'm assuming you've made up a kit (seeing as though this is in the kit section), which normally have an OG of around 1.040 and end up around 1.010 giving an ABV% of around 4%.

I only got a hydrometer yesterday so I haven’t got a reading when I first started. Does this mean I cant calculate ABV?

Unfortunately you need both and OG reading and and FG reading to calculate a final ABV% but see my answer for above for what you've probably got

Welcome!

Without your OG (original gravity) reading you will not be able to calculate your ABV I'm afraid.
Here is a guide to correctly read a hydrometer, aim to read the 'flat' of the liquid not where it curls up the side of the hydrometer. It comes with practice.
Play reading plain water, it should be 1.000.
Temperature has an impact but when using the hydrometer for beer the beer is usually at or around 20C so not a big factor in skewing readings.

If it is a kit you have made you may be able to find what the OG was designed to be, some manufacturers do have that info either in the paperwork, on their web site or you may find it on here.

ATB

Kevin

I’ve made the reading none the less at around 10 which is on the black line on the column under ‘990’

Does this sound right?

Here is a good guide.

hydrometer.jpg

Thanks for your replies guys, I think I get me more now. It’s more like 6-8 tonight, might have slightly miss read yesterday.

We’ll see what tomorrow brings.

Back