Hydrometer/refractometer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I keep threatening to get one (refractometer) but never got round to it.

Just ordered one.

I use both, refractometer is excellent for starting gravity and if you use real fruit for wine or cider giving you a sugar content.

Used both for a while now just the refractometer, much easier to read for me and tiny sample required.

I've thought about getting a refractometer but I've read they shouldn't be used for FG readings. Do they also need to be temperature adjusted like hydrometers?

EDIT: Just read your link @Bezza which has useful info there.

Is it difficult to calibrate considering it needs to be done every time before a reading?

Is it difficult to calibrate considering it needs to be done every time before a reading?

No idea - I read that link and got put off by the whole idea! ;)

If it ain't broke, don't fix it - and my hydrometer gives me a good indication of OG and FG, and I've not needed anything to be super accurate. Plenty of other shiny things to buy first.

No idea - I read that link and got put off by the whole idea! ;)

If it ain't broke, don't fix it - and my hydrometer gives me a good indication of OG and FG, and I've not needed anything to be super accurate. Plenty of other shiny things to buy first.

I completely agree! I've been put off as it seems a lot of work for little extra benefit.

Hi!
If you buy an ATC refractometer you don't need to worry about the temperature of the sample.
Taking a FG reading with a refractometer is a piece of Boddingtons!
There's a Refractometer calculator online (Brewer's Friend); I don't bother with an accurate correction factor - 1.03 is recommended.

Last edited:
The sample needed is just a couple of drops so cools off in no time. Wouldn't be without a refractometer now it's ace, calibration is by turning a screw but I've never had to adjust mine after initial setup.

This is actually good to know as well, as reading the above is quite off-putting! Do you read the Brix then use a calculator to change to gravity, or do you just read gravity?

Mine just has brix so then use a calculator to convert

Here's the calculator I use which takes into account starting gravity to calculate final gravity ie you can't just convert final brix to final gravity as the reading is affected by alcohol.
http://www.onebeer.net/refractometer.shtml

Back