Hydrometer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ADeamer

Reaction score
Hi guys, new to this site and new to making beer. A quick question, how long should I leave my hydrometer in a test bottle before taking a reading. Can I just put the hydrometer in the fermenting bucket?

As soon as you have poured the beer into the trial jar you can take a reading, some members put the hydrometer into the bucket but the longer you have the lid off the more you risk infection.

It's also a good idea to spin the hydrometer to shift any air / gas bubbles stuck to it, and most hydrometers are calibrated to be used at 20c. Unless you have sanitised the trial jar and hydrometer it's not a good idea to return the sample to the fermenter - best to throw it away after you have taken a reading.
Cheers

Thanks guys, the reading when I take it straight away is higher than if I wait a few minutes. My brew has been in the ferment bucket for a week, is there any time limit before bottling? I don't want to risk bottling to early.

Thanks guys, the reading when I take it straight away is higher than if I wait a few minutes. My brew has been in the ferment bucket for a week, is there any time limit before bottling? I don't want to risk bottling to early.
Generally, if you get the same SG every 2 days for 6 days, you're good. That said, it doesn't always work out. I grab the sample, shake it up to degass it it, make my reading and then drink it, to get a feel for what it's doing.

I tend to only check gravity twice - once when it appears to be done, and again after I have cold-crashed it. If they match, I bottle it. If not, I bottle it and panic.

Thanks David.

Bottling today.
Before you get your bottling kit out, how long has your beer been in the FV?
Is it still cloudy?
My advice is it should be in the FV at least two weeks. This gives the yeast chance to clean up and then start to drop out of suspension. When you are then nearly ready to go, put it somewhere cool for a couple of days to further encourage the yeast to drop. You should then be able to bottle a clear or almost clear beer, which will still have enough yeast cells to carb up.

It's also a good idea to spin the hydrometer to shift any air / gas bubbles stuck to it, and most hydrometers are calibrated to be used at 20c. Unless you have sanitised the trial jar and hydrometer it's not a good idea to return the sample to the fermenter - best to throw it away after you have taken a reading.
Cheers

And of course by throw it away you mean drink it, for testing purposes?

A lot of Forum Members follow the 2+2+2 system as a minimum. i.e. 2 weeks fermenting + 2 weeks carbonating + 2 weeks conditioning.

It is better to be patient than drink something too early, think "That's rubbish." and reckon you are a failure; or even worse, give up the hobby! :nono: :nono:

For hydrometer readings, I recommend that you get one of these ...

http://www.wilko.com/homebrew-accessories+equipment/wilko-plastic-trial-jar/invt/0022576

Put the sample in it, let the bubbles disperse, take the SG reading and then drink it to see how the brew's getting along.

With a bit of luck the taste will improve from "Yeuk!" for the Original Gravity to "How am I going to keep my hands off that for four weeks." when you take the Final Gravity and bottle it for carbonation and conditioning. :thumb:

I just lower my (sanitised) hydrometer into the brew, take a reading then take it out.
Done it that way for years.
Good enough for me, especially since my FV's don't have taps.

I only ever use a hydrometer if im unsure or trying something new.
I keep my beers in closed sealed fermenters with an air lock for 3 weeks, Iv been brewing long enough to just know when its done and what sort of starting gravity iv got.

Before you get your bottling kit out, how long has your beer been in the FV?
Is it still cloudy?
My advice is it should be in the FV at least two weeks. This gives the yeast chance to clean up and then start to drop out of suspension. When you are then nearly ready to go, put it somewhere cool for a couple of days to further encourage the yeast to drop. You should then be able to bottle a clear or almost clear beer, which will still have enough yeast cells to carb up.
Absolutely bang on Terry.And you will be surprised how clear the resultant beer will be:thumb:

Back