Igloo coolbox - temp gauge - yes or no?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laithclark

Reaction score
I have an Igloo MAxcool as a MashTun and wanted to know if I should add a thermowell/temp gauge to it or just use a thermometer at the start and end of the mash?

If I should add a thermowell, whats the best way to do it with an Igloo Tun?

I use a digital thermometer with a probe on the end of a wire. Stick the probe in the grain and then chuck the lid on the cooler box. You can monitor the temp throughout the mash. Cheap/easy option if you can't be bothered fitting something.

I've got a Coleman cool box that I use and I thought about adding a thermometer gauge but there isn't any real need. Just measure your temperature at the start and at the end of the mash. I lose about half a degree for an hour mash.

Unless you are doing a step mash there isn't much point. The temp will be what it is. You will know if you take a start and end temp how good your insulation is.

Thanks for all the comments, one more question regarding insulation - do those with an Igloo give it any more insulation or are they good as they come? just thinking about wrapping it in silver bubble insulation or something too?

laithclark said:
Thanks for all the comments, one more question regarding insulation - do those with an Igloo give it any more insulation or are they good as they come? just thinking about wrapping it in silver bubble insulation or something too?
I have the round IGLOO. You cant feel any heat at all on the surface when mashing, so I dont think there is anything extra insulation could keep in? I lose less than 1 degree an hour. (and thats probably from my self-made tap) I did insulate the lid with perlite, (or was it vermiculite?) which undoubtably helps.

Yeah that's exactly the style I have only mine is blue, so I guess its pretty good out of the box!

Thanks for the feedback and the pic!

On most cool boxes they are designed to keep things cool ( :doh: ) so don't usually insulate the lid. On my old one I drilled a hole and squirted in some expanding foam. Made a huge difference. Heat rises and cold goes down. So the lid is important.

I haven't done anything with the lid, thanks for the tip I think I will drill and use the expanding foam option as that should be pretty straightforward

I do wrap mine up when with an old sleeping bag, when i overnight mash. I didn't bother when I do a 90minute mash.

laithclark said:
I haven't done anything with the lid, thanks for the tip I think I will drill and use the expanding foam option as that should be pretty straightforward
I went for the perlite option as I had heard horror stories of expanding foam warping doorframes etc, and I didn't want to blow the lid up like a balloon. However I understand some members have been successfull with it. With perlite you can change it, with foam you are stuck with it if it does go wrong.

Once I'm happy with the temperature I put a layer of foil on the grain then some bubble wrap on top to fill the empty space. wrap in a sleeping bag and leave alone for 90mins.

dennisking said:
Once I'm happy with the temperature I put a layer of foil on the grain then some bubble wrap on top to fill the empty space. wrap in a sleeping bag and leave alone for 90mins.
Same here on all four counts. :cool:

Latest posts

Back