IIPA recipe thoughts

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewmourous

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm thining of designing a recipe which really hits hard on the hop front and showcases some lovely antipodean hops in Galaxy and Nelson Sauvin with a balance of a little simcoe.

I'd love your input. I've adopted a pliny the elder clone that worked well last time I tried it.

I was thinking of something along these lines:

Quantity- 23 litres
90min boil.
Aiming for 8.3% ABV

6kg MO
280 grams crystal (EBC 105)
280 grams carapils

Columbus-100 grams at 90 mins
Columbus- 21 grams at 45 mins
Simcoe- 30 grams at 30 mins
Simcoe- 30 grams at 15 mins
Simcoe- 30 grams at 5 mins
Nelson Sauvin- 30 grams at 5 mins
Nelson Sauvin- 15 grams at 0 mins
Galaxy- 30 grams at 0 mins

Dry hop 1 @ 7 days

Nelson Sauvin- 30 grams
Galaxy- 30 grams
Simcoe- 15 grams

Dry hop 2 @ 12 days

Nelson Savin- 7 grams
Galaxy- 7 grams

Thanks!

Is that 90 min addition correct? Running these numbers I get 241 IBU... you wont be able to drink this lol.

Personally I am leery of leaving dry hops in for longer than a week but since these are all high AA hops you will lessen your chance of grassy flavors. One thing you could do is try to add some sugar to dry the beer out a little and let those hops scream more.

Here is a tweaked version to help hit more in the pliny realm (fantastic iipa) this would put you in the 100 IBU range same as pliny

5.2kg MO
280 grams crystal (EBC 105)
280 grams carapils
450 grams dextrose (corn sugar)

34Columbus-22 grams at 90 mins 34 IBU
Columbus- 12 grams at 45 mins 16 IBU
Simcoe- 18 grams at 30 mins 17 IBU
Simcoe- 30 grams at 15 mins 19 IBU
Simcoe- 30 grams at 5 mins 7 IBU
Nelson Sauvin- 30 grams at 5 mins 7 IBU
Nelson Sauvin- 15 grams at 0 mins
Galaxy- 30 grams at 0 mins

Thanks, brewpirate.

Sorry I did mean to include some dextrose in the original post but plain forgot.

That will help me enormously.

H

I'd get rid of the 30 and 45 minute additions. You're going to get nothing but bitterness out of hops at that time in the boil.

I like to stagger my bittering additions, recently started playing with 25% into the mash and 75% FWH which is producing a more rounded bittering. If your making an IIPA you want that bitterness but too much isnt a good thing. Do you have the ability to whirlpool?

If you have a good whirlpool setup then you may want to move those 5min additions to 0 and let it go for 30 min before chilling. Good luck cant wait to hear how it turns out.

Here is an IPL recipe I did that scored a 39/50. Not bad for first lager & first time recipe :)

Batch Size 32.18 L
Boil Time 60 min
Efficiency 75.0%
1.066 OG
1.004 FG
75 IBU
8.14% ABV
5 SRM

Fermentable Amount Use PPG Color
Carapils (DE) 0.34 kg 3 % Mash 35 1 °L
Cane Sugar 0.45 kg 5 % Boil 46 0 °L
Caramel/Crystal 20L (US) 0.57 kg 6 % Mash 35 20 °L
Munich - Light 10L (US) 0.57 kg 6 % Mash 33 10 °L
Maris Otter Pale (UK) 1.59 kg 17 % Mash 38 3 °L
Pilsner (US) 1.81 kg 20 % Mash 37 1 °L
2-Row (US) 3.63 kg 40 % Mash 37 1 °L

Hop Amount Time Use Form AA
Citra (US) 56.7 g 7 days Dry Hop Pellet 13.7%
Amarillo (US) 56.7 g 7 days Dry Hop Pellet 9.3%
Simcoe (US) 28.35 g 7 days Dry Hop Pellet 13.0%
Summit (US) 28.35 g 0 min Boil Pellet 17.7%
Amarillo (US) 28.35 g 0 min Boil Pellet 9.3%
Citra (US) 28.35 g 0 min Boil Pellet 13.7%
Centennial (US) 14.17 g 30 min Boil Pellet 10.5%
Columbus (US) 14.17 g 30 min Boil Pellet 15.0%
Columbus (US) 28.35 g 60 min Boil Pellet 15.0%
Warrior (US) 28.35 g 60 min Boil Pellet 16.0%
Yeasts

Name Lab/Product Attenuation
American Lager Yeast White Labs WLP840 84.5%

Oooh that looks tasty... Love Citra as a dry hop and the Simcoe would really work beautifully. My brew day is Sunday week. Just looking at getting my ingredients together. Will post update with pics.

I like to stagger my bittering additions, recently started playing with 25% into the mash and 75% FWH which is producing a more rounded bittering. If your making an IIPA you want that bitterness but too much isnt a good thing. Do you have the ability to whirlpool?
A bittering addition in the mash? You mash at like 70C maximum, not even enough to extract any flavour or aroma from the hop and anything you do get would be boiled off during the boil.

Oooh that looks tasty... Love Citra as a dry hop and the Simcoe would really work beautifully. My brew day is Sunday week. Just looking at getting my ingredients together. Will post update with pics.

One of my favorite citra combos is chinook, citra and amarillo. Looking forward to see the results. What yeast were you going to use?

A bittering addition in the mash? You mash at like 70C maximum, not even enough to extract any flavour or aroma from the hop and anything you do get would be boiled off during the boil.

Mash Hopping has been a technique that's been around for ages and recently picking up steam here in the states. Check out this article in BYO magazine for more info on it but generally the IBU contributions is about 1/4 of what a typical 60min addition would be but it adds flavor and and use it shure up the first wort hop additon.

While Labs W1poo1- California Ale Yeast

Another one I forgot.

Hoping the NS and Galaxy combo works well too. The Simcoe should give it a pineyness but I'm not dry hopping it so it shouldn't be too overpowering.

Latest posts

Back