Immersion heater any good for 5 gallon starter kit?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hightower

Reaction score
Hi I've just seen that you can get a brewing immersion heater, do these work as it would solve my cold room issue thanks

Hi I've just seen that you can get a brewing immersion heater, do these work as it would solve my cold room issue thanks

As the link Chippy Tea has provided, a simple aquarium heater in a water bath will do a good job. Better than immersing into the beer as the heat will be more consistent and steady with a water bath. But you do have to make sure the brew space can handle any potential condensation, especially if it's particularly cold. Otherwise a heating mat or belt would be the next best. Insulation can also achieve a lot, i.e. wrapping the FV in sleeping bags.

Being pretty new to grain brewing .. is a fridge and heater the best method ?
I use insulation and a "brewbelt" heater, but heating is not an issue as the brewery is in the house. For cooling I have the fermenter wrapped in coils of pipe feed from a "shelf cooler's" "python" lines but that is only because my 70L conical fermenter can't possibly fit in a fridge. Most folk on this site who have fermentation temperature control will use a temperature controlled fridge.

Latest posts

Back