Impy Choc Orange Stout advice sought

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuffer

Landlord.
Reaction score
Morning!

I want to brew an imperial choc orange stout and have sorted everything in the recipe apart from adding orange. Does anyone have any advice in this regard in terms of how much to use (it's a heavy high percentage beer of 9-10%), is it better to use dried or fresh, start of the boil or end of the boil etc?

I would have thought orange peel at the end of the boil would work well. I'm not sure on quantities though as only ever done this with a wit beer where the character should be subtle. You could also consider mandarina bavaria hops which supposedly offer orange flavours. You could also consider a tincture (soak orange peel in something like vodka) then you can add this post fermentation a little at a time until you have the flavours you want. I think you can get grapefruit oil for dosing beer, so maybe you can also get orange potentially?

I would have thought orange peel at the end of the boil would work well. I'm not sure on quantities though as only ever done this with a wit beer where the character should be subtle. You could also consider mandarina bavaria hops which supposedly offer orange flavours. You could also consider a tincture (soak orange peel in something like vodka) then you can add this post fermentation a little at a time until you have the flavours you want. I think you can get grapefruit oil for dosing beer, so maybe you can also get orange potentially?
Yeh I'm using Madarina Bavaria and Amarillo hops.....the tincture thing is a good idea if the orange flavour doesn't come out as strong as hoped....but I've seen various ideas of orange peel quantities ranging from 23g to several hundred grams!

Latest posts

Back