Induction hob

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Roberts

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi

I'm looking at a 20/25l stove top pot. The new malt Miller ones look of interest.

One avenue is to use a portable induction burner. However they all state max pot size 28cm.

Does anyone use an induction burner with a pot larger than the burner?

If so is it still effective

Interested in this but unfortunately don't have the answer. You would think it would only be limiting the bit of the pan that gets hot i.e. up to 28 cm of it so a bigger one should work but would just be a little cooler on the outside, but there might be more to it than that?

I did some research on this a while ago and yes it's fine. I was also brewing on an induction hob in my kitchen across two heating areas and that was also fine.

If I remember correctly there were some issues that came up in my research like overheating of the hob and a built in timer that turns them off after an hour. I can belive the overheating because the fans on my kitchen hob went bananas when brewing. The consensus seemed to be that really your best off with one of the 'professional' ones that are much more expensive.

In the end I just bought a basic Klarstien electric kettle (Fullhorn I think, wait for a sale) and I was very happy with the flexibility of not having to use the stove/kitchen.

Just remember that not all stainless steel pots will work on an induction hob. My hob is not supposed to bear more than 8kg but it does.

Back