Inflating Liquid Yest

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeB.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I stupidly left a liquid yeast packet out of the fridge overnight which now looks to have inflated. I’ve put back in the fridge but will this still be ok to use?

Fingers crossed it still does it’s stuff, will however make sure I’ve a back up option just in case
If it was OK when in the fridge - not massively out of date etc - then it will be fine. Yeast is tough - in the wild it has to spend a Mediterranean summer in the bark of a grapevine or whatever, waiting for some fruit to appear in autumn. OK, domesticated yeast have gone a bit soft compared to that, but not a lot softer. Ale yeast typically grow best at ~30C (we only ferment lower to avoid off-flavours), and don't start dying until it gets over 40C - a bit of room temperature at this time of year won't hurt them.

And I've rescued liquid yeast that was 4.5 years past best-before date in the past.

That said, it's not a bad plan to do a quick vitality starter on brewday with a lot of liquid yeasts - particularly the 100bn cell packs - just as a routine thing to get them up and running, you can do it with a portion of the wort after it has first boiled.

It’s was perfectly ok in the fridge and well within date. Is it normal to inflate when warm?
I’ll prep a starter for when I’m going to use it.
Thanks for all the comments and advice. 🙂

Back