intro

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PD

Landlord.
Reaction score
Just a quick hello after signing up to the forum Returning to home brewing after several years in the wilderness. I use to make beer and LOTS of wine previously so I am not really a newbie as such although I'm still catching up with new technologies materials and kits. I've returned to home brewing as a result of my son wanting a cheap way of drinking beer :cheers: occasionally he will help me bottle a brew and pick a kit to make. :clap:
I don't intend to go over to the " Dark Side " again and will confine myself to brewing kits with extracts and the occasional extra additive.
Since I ( er we ) restarted making beer, brews completed are Coopers Lager ( full starter kit with FV and bottles etc,) which has turned out awful and I'm finding it hard to get even Number 1 son to drink it up. However we know what we did wrong and subsequent brews have all been acceptable. These include Coopers A.P.A. Coopers Brewmaster I.P.A. Coopers Dark Ale and the last still in the FV is a BetterBrew Premium Beer kit.
By far the tastiest so far has been the Dark Ale which is clear and sharp and holds its head till the end of the glass, although I hope it was just a one off it also seems to possess a rapid laxative effect. :shock:
A new kit purchased today but not yet started is a St.Peters Red Ruby Ale which I'm looking forward to trying soon. Silly me forgot to buy a 2nd FV today so it will be a few days before its started.
My method so far is very simple, all ingredients in, ferment out, prime and bottle into 500ml Amber PET bottles My son is in the process of collecting glass bottles... :drink: and has just got a crown capper for his birthday.
I have to say I like the plastic bottles, so easy and quick to sterilise, just chuck em all in the bath with some steriliser, leave for an hour then rinse.
So far its been enjoyable with no major disasters ( apart from the lager ) and no doubt I'll be updating in the future whilst reading the splendid articles/advice, tips and what have you on this site.
Look forward to crossing your paths along the way.

Back