Intro!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tinymcfc

Reaction score
Hey all

Long time lurker, first time poster. I've been homebrewing for a few years now, I probably had the same experience as most of you; found a few YouTube videos, tried it out with a kit, liked it, kept investing and reached all grain and was loving life!

For one reason or another I hadn't brewed for around 18-24 months, and then during this lockdown situation I decided it was time to clear the brew shed out, and see what we've got. So having done that, tested the temperature controlled fridges, and the kegs all work still I was ready to get a brew on.

I live in Manchester and so maybe the next statement is a bit weird, but, with the weather hopefully improving to a level of which I can sit in the garden in the sun I decided to brew my first ever lager. All the goodies were ordered and delivered. Brew day went well, maybe too well, as I kept thinking I must've missed a step etc. but no, everything really did go well.

What did I brew? Well I was going for a very easy going Lager, some clean, crisp, unobtrusive and something that my mates will enjoy having a few of; most of them are still skeptical over home-brew and assume you're either going to blow your house up or poison everyone.

Recipe:
Malt
8 lb Pilsner malt
2 lb Munich Light malt
12 oz Vienna Malt
10 oz Carapils (Dextrine malt)
Hops
50g Hallertau (60 mins)
Yeast
White Labs WLP838, Southern German Lager Yeast

Now, like an idiot, the recipe above is slightly amended to the one I wanted to brew, as I forgot to order Saaz hops. I wanted to keep the IBU's down anyway, but decided to just throw in the Hallertau hops at the start of the boil, with no other additions; brought IBUs to around 19.

So that was brewed up, OG was 1046, fermented for about a week at 12c, then raised the temp to 16c for 3 days, racked to a secondary and dropped the temperature to 3c, she's still in there and I plan on keeping her in there for another 14 days or so. Then I'll be kegged. Current gravity is 1005 so we're looking at around 5% or just under, which is what I was hoping for.

Next up I want to brew a clone of Shindigger Mango IPA. I actually contacted the owners who kindly let me know the ingredients used, so I'll be basing the brew on that. Anyone got any recommendations of a Mango IPA would be welcome, but I'll drop another thread in the right forum later.

Cheers all!

The lager recipe and procedure looks fine. I'd wanted to get a couple more batches of lager on before it got too warm, but missed that opportunity and I don't use temperature control. Can't help with the mango-IPA, Not something I think I'd like to drink. Just to say Welcome to Valhalla.

The lager recipe and procedure looks fine. I'd wanted to get a couple more batches of lager on before it got too warm, but missed that opportunity and I don't use temperature control. Can't help with the mango-IPA, Not something I think I'd like to drink. Just to say Welcome to Valhalla.
Cheers buddy! Looking to get wel involved in the community

Latest posts

Back