Irish Red Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geoffinthewilds

Regular.
Reaction score
Last year I went over to Wexford in Ireland, the locals were drinking this red ale, it slipped down a treat and was very drinkable, but for the life of me I can't remember what it was called, so fancy brewing a similarv red ale so can anyone suggest a suitable kit please?

Last year I went over to Wexford in Ireland, the locals were drinking this red ale, it slipped down a treat and was very drinkable, but for the life of me I can't remember what it was called, so fancy brewing a similarv red ale so can anyone suggest a suitable kit please?
I‘ve just kegged a Mangrove Jack’s Irish Red Ale kit. Haven’t tried it yet but it smells good. The OG was a reasonable 1.050 and should come out at 4.3% ABV. I don’t know any one who has tried it but MJ’s kits are usually pretty good quality.

I‘ve just kegged a Mangrove Jack’s Irish Red Ale kit. Haven’t tried it yet but it smells good. The OG was a reasonable 1.050 and should come out at 4.3% ABV. I don’t know any one who has tried it but MJ’s kits are usually pretty good quality.

Thanks for that Jason42, will give it a try once I sort the ones I have on the go at the moment

that would be great thanks for your input, just got back into home brewing so took some cleaning of the equipment, got Ceveza kit, 40 pint cider kit and 30 bottle wine kit on the go at the moment :-)
Well that’s definitely getting back into it big time:laugh8:
I’ve done much the same, got a kit and some basic equipment as a Christmas present, its now taken over my flat completely :beer1:

Well that’s definitely getting back into it big time:laugh8:
I’ve done much the same, got a kit and some basic equipment as a Christmas present, its now taken over my flat completely :beer1:

Yes it can become very addictive. We used to live in Libya, my part was not so dry lol, used to get this 100% Apple juice called Rauch, the top was a flip top like the old Grolsch bottles, a pinch of bakers yeast and in that heat it would soon brew, being utter drunkards it never had time to mature , bjut one had fell down the back of the cupboard so was about 6 months old, it was like drinking Champagne dead nice, we always had at least 2 massive brew bins on the go, used to get a lot of visitors cant think why :-)

Yellowbelly is a pretty good brewery in Wexford, was it one of their beers?
Name don't ring a bell, I bought some cans of it from the local Tesco as I had gone over in my work van, I seem to remember a Castle on the tin, but memory is not the best after a serious head injury when I was racing Motorbikes so not helping lol

Lovely pint on draught
Yes it was, I stopped in a pub and it was like an old Western Film, I walked in and it went silent, I ordered a Hop House 13, one of the locals told me to give the Smithwicks a bash and it was love at first sip, they sussed I was Welsh so it was Alexa Play Tom Jones, had a cracking time

Just had a quick read online I am not familiar with the terms bitter and milds when talking beer styles. Bitter being a light pale ale.

Back