Is a soylent Green dry hop normal?!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Welshwizard

Reaction score
Evening folks. I'm following a recipe for my latest kit brew that requires dry hopping. Because I don't want the hops clogging up my filter my plan was to put them into a mesh bag and lob the hops in.

Anyway, the instructions called for me to 'pulverise' the 50g of hop pellets for a couple of minutes, then pour 500ml of boiling water over them and then spoon the hops into the beer.

Well I did as instructed up to spooning them in. Only problem was that after adding 500ml of water the hops turned onto a soylent green type paste with the consistency of mushy peas. I put this concoction into my mesh bag and dropped it in, but I guess I'm just a bit concerned to check if this sounds 'normal' to you? Usually, when I see hops added, it's as pellets. Have I likely screwed the beer up, and should I just go with my guy next time and lob them in as pellets without mashing them up first? Thanks folks and happy brewing!

Last edited:
I'll chuck them in as pellets next time then. Is it likely I've ruined the beer? In theory, they've just ended up as they would have done anyway I guess.

Thanks guys. On the plus side when I opened the fermenter to lob the hops in the brew smelt brilliant so I'm thinking it seems on course in general. Fingers crossed!

Where did you get those instructions? I've got a few old books where the instructions are absolute tripe.

Best Ale: Take an elbow of loaf sugar and canker it with boot black until it is done. Obtain a shinkle cup of loaf-livener from an accredited loafer and scald it with a poker before pouring it it into your brewing scuttle. Add a spinster's claw of hops, or 10 crushed spiders if out of season and terrify with a priest until a spittle is formed. Leave six full hours before drinking.

Yeah, it's a beerworks kit. The instructions are (and I quote)

"Add the foil bag of hops as below.

Empty the hops into a clean 1 litre jug, use a knife to break them up (for around 1 minute) then add 500ml of boiling water. Continue to use the knife to pulverise thw hops in the water for a further two minutes then use a large spoon to transfer just the hops into your beer, leaving the liquid behind)."

The whole 'leaving the water behind' us easier said than done once they turn to mush! 😂

I know someone who made this kit following the instructions to the letter,came out lovely.

Yeah, it's a beerworks kit. The instructions are (and I quote)

"Add the foil bag of hops as below.

Empty the hops into a clean 1 litre jug, use a knife to break them up (for around 1 minute) then add 500ml of boiling water. Continue to use the knife to pulverise thw hops in the water for a further two minutes then use a large spoon to transfer just the hops into your beer, leaving the liquid behind)."

The whole 'leaving the water behind' us easier said than done once they turn to mush! 😂

They must've been drinking their own supplies when they came up with this. Do a hop tea or just chuck them in. Not sure what they are trying not achieve and why you leave the liquid behind?

Evening folks. I'm following a recipe for my latest kit brew that requires dry hopping. Because I don't want the hops clogging up my filter my plan was to put them into a mesh bag and lob the hops in.

Anyway, the instructions called for me to 'pulverise' the 50g of hop pellets for a couple of minutes, then pour 500ml of boiling water over them and then spoon the hops into the beer.

Well I did as instructed up to spooning them in. Only problem was that after adding 500ml of water the hops turned onto a soylent green type paste with the consistency of mushy peas. I put this concoction into my mesh bag and dropped it in, but I guess I'm just a bit concerned to check if this sounds 'normal' to you? Usually, when I see hops added, it's as pellets. Have I likely screwed the beer up, and should I just go with my guy next time and lob them in as pellets without mashing them up first? Thanks folks and happy brewing!

I made the beer works bohemian pilsner & followed the instructions as you did & the beers great, don’t worry these kits are excellent!

They must've been drinking their own supplies when they came up with this. Do a hop tea or just chuck them in. Not sure what they are trying not achieve and why you leave the liquid behind?
I'm guessing they were trying to get the hops sanitary with the boiling water? Whatever the case those instructions are batshit crazy. Dry hops won't carry any infection to your beer unless you go out of your way to get them dirty before dropping them in.

Back