Is it viable to use old creosote tubs

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am stunned that anyone could even think about using vessels that have held creosote for home brew use. Is this a wind up?
Without a doubt creosote is toxic. And it stinks, and that stink lingers for years. And it contaminates plastic. I know, I used to work for a coal tar processing company years ago, and have used creosote for many years for treating wood up until recent years
Creosote is, as far as I am aware, banned in the UK (and presumably the rest of the EU) for 'domestic' use but (again as far as I am aware) it can be used in certain circumstances for industrial use e.g treating wooden railway sleepers. What you get in the hardware shop is 'Creocote' which is naptha (petroleum) based and has an odorant added to make it smell like creosote, and which someone has deemed to be safe for the average diyer to handle with proper gloves, and eye protection.

I am stunned that anyone could even think about using vessels that have held creosote for home brew use. Is this a wind up?

That was my initial thought when read the thread, if it was he struck gold. :lol:

Notice: In July 2003, it became an offence for the general public to purchase and apply Coal Tar Creosote. However, the product is still available for sale to trades-people. This means the traditional user such as the agricultural community, builders, etc. are still able to purchase Coal Tar Creosote, providing they do not resell to the general householder.
It is the responsibility of the purchaser to ensure that only genuine trade’s people/professional users ....

I can't believe I never thought of this myself, I really can't see a downside to it :thumb:

Thanks for the sensible answers gentleman. Yes this was a serious question. I have a big selection of old creosote and creocote cans going back a long way and obviously factories and lumber mills or such places must have a way of removing creosote effectively. Also with my equipment doing 5 gallons of cider at once is a bit much but 1 gallon isn't much, a 2 or 2.5 gallon container would be more convenient. But looks like I shan't be using my old creo cans for that.

Latest posts

Back