Is it viable to use old creosote tubs

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GB2014

Reaction score
Hello, has anyone used old creosote cans sucessfully for fermenting / dispensing? Do you think this is possible, and if so, are there any particular chemicals I should use to make sure they are completely clean on the inside? I'm not sure what the correct word is for a 2 gallon plastic container, neither tub nor can seems to quite fit. Thank you

If you want 2 gallon FV's ask down your local chippy for the empty mayo/gravy/curry buckets they typically come in 10l sizes though they may have 25l. They have a decent sealable lid and will be food safe and free.

It's not banned you can still by it but definitely do not use these containers for brewing in. The containers will not be food safe for a start and that is before you consider its been holding a toxic chemical for god knows how long.

It's not banned you can still by it but definitely do not use these containers for brewing in. The containers will not be food safe for a start and that is before you consider its been holding a toxic chemical for god knows how long.
I stand corrected!

Wasn't trying to prove a point, or be clever, its just that I own a hardware shop and sell it! Prety sure that when disposing of the containers at the council recycling site there is a special section for such items.

I remember that stuff from when I was a kid, absolutley stank..

I work for a pharmaceutical manufacturer. Our site used to be a creosote works, dating back at least to the 30's. There have been that many releases over the years the site smeels really strongly of it on a hot day. There are 'seams' of it underground from historical releases.

Wasn't trying to prove a point, or be clever, its just that I own a hardware shop and sell it! Prety sure that when disposing of the containers at the council recycling site there is a special section for such items.
Im usually wrong so no problem mate.
Got any Fork 'Andles??

Back