Is my brew infected?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NathanB

Reaction score
Hi, i'm wondering if anyone could tell me if my bitter looks infected? It smell a bit like vinegar and there are light brown bits floating at the top of the brew. It's only been in the bucket for a around 4 days and there hasn't really been much action for the past 2 days.

Any help would be appreciated, cheers :cheers:

WP_20151124_001[1].jpg

Doesn't look outrageous to me.. not clear picture though.. 4 days is too early to tell though it should still be fermenting away.. what exactly is it you're brewing?

The picture doesn't look untoward to me.

4 days is probably a bit early though, are you using an airlock, as these give a decent indication as to when it's finished.
Although it's tempting to lift the lid and take a peek, it's probably not good practice as you could be inviting unwanted bacteria.
But if you really have to because of no air lock, then shine a torch through the side of the barrel, see if there are bubbles.
I'd suggest 4-8 days is about right, depending on the temperature, however after day 3, there's usually definate signs of it slowing down.

I'd personally suggest leaving it for a few more days and then have a sneaky taste before racking off to the 2nd fermentation stage.
If it's gone off, you'll tase the vinegar.
However, if if tastes like a yeasty beer, then you'll be fine.

The picture doesn't look untoward to me.

4 days is probably a bit early though, are you using an airlock, as these give a decent indication as to when it's finished.
Although it's tempting to lift the lid and take a peek, it's probably not good practice as you could be inviting unwanted bacteria.
But if you really have to because of no air lock, then shine a torch through the side of the barrel, see if there are bubbles.
I'd suggest 4-8 days is about right, depending on the temperature, however after day 3, there's usually definate signs of it slowing down.

I'd personally suggest leaving it for a few more days and then have a sneaky taste before racking off to the 2nd fermentation stage.
If it's gone off, you'll tase the vinegar.
However, if if tastes like a yeasty beer, then you'll be fine.

I think the only way to be sure it's finished is take a gravity check.. airlocks can tell lies!! :thumb: If you get a stuck fermentation a lock or bubbles might trick you

Its a Geordie Winter Warmer... i had to move it because it was a bit to cold where is was and for some reason decided to take the lid off and have a look inside, which i've never done before lol. I just thought the light brown bits floating on the top looked a bit suspicious :-?

and yeah i'm using an airlock, i've always gone by them and i've never had a bad brew and they've always turned out fine... i've been getting a hydrometer for about 2 years now haha :lol:

Hydrometer is of course the correct answer. However, I've not had a hydrometer for 30 years, not sure where it went.
Although now I'm considering all grain, I think I need one and a refractometer

Back