is this a disaster?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rincon

Reaction score
So Ive just made a brew this morning, kids wanted to go and see Captain Underpants and I was allowed to stay home and play.

Ive just taken the reading and I'm aiming for 1040 but its 1050

Ive made this beer before and never had an issue, any ideas?

Its it ruined?

I was hoping for 1010 at the end (which Ive always got in the past)

Would be sad to pull the plug on it!

It just means you’re efficiency is better than previously. Either you’ll have a stronger beer, or you can top up with water to bring it down to 1.040 (although this will reduce your IBUs).

So Ive just made a brew this morning, kids wanted to go and see Captain Underpants and I was allowed to stay home and play.

Ive just taken the reading and I'm aiming for 1040 but its 1050

Ive made this beer before and never had an issue, any ideas?

Its it ruined?

I was hoping for 1010 at the end (which Ive always got in the past)

Would be sad to pull the plug on it!
cant see for the life of me why you think it may be ruined,give me 1050 over 1040 everyday of the week a more robust drink imo.oh and if you chuck it chuck it my way :whistle::lol::thumb:

It just means you’re efficiency is better than previously. Either you’ll have a stronger beer, or you can top up with water to bring it down to 1.040 (although this will reduce your IBUs).

Well more alcohol must be good haha. Sorry to be a bit thick but what is IBU?

The measurement of bitterness...International Bittering Units. Derived from the oils in the hops. Measured in Alpha Acid Units and given as a % on your hop packet.

Looks like either your efficiency just took a big boost in the right direction or maybe you mis-measured your grain. Either way it's all good, just have a bottle less in the evening and enjoy the extra flavour.

Really helpful and thank you!

So where do you think I got it so right if that’s the right phrase. I know I managed to get the boil rolling quicker and managed to cool it down pretty quickly. But just wondered what might I have done right?

I know the wight I’d grain was mentioned. I don’t think I got that bit wrong unless scales are playing up which could be the case but not aware of an issue with them.

Just interested.

Thanks.

Lower mash temperature maybe? If you usually mash close to 70c but mashed at 64-65c this time you'll have extracted more sugars (I believe...) and got a higher OG.

Possibly you miscalculated the water too - if you mashed a shorter volume it'll make it stronger.

Lower mash temperature maybe? If you usually mash close to 70c but mashed at 64-65c this time you'll have extracted more sugars (I believe...) and got a higher OG.

Possibly you miscalculated the water too - if you mashed a shorter volume it'll make it stronger.

thank you!

Back