J2O bottles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim_Crowhurst

Landlord.
Reaction score
I'm intending to use some old J2O bottles for cider next week, and I'm wondering if they are strong enough for carbonation since J2O is still. Has anyone used them for this?

I would be cautious as they are light weight glass. Personally I would not, but I have not tested them so I dont know from direct experience.

D

I wouldn't use them for anything carbonated myself.
I like them for stuff like coffee wine which only gets drunk in small amounts.

Exactly the question I had! I think I'll use mine for wine or maybe make a batch of chilli sauce, I've got some of those reusable plastic corks which will hopefully fit.

you might get away with a low carb cider , i use j20 for my white wines as they fit better in my fridge and are handy for giving samples out

Get a bottle add water yeast, some nutrient and the appropriate amount of sugar.

Put it in the warm safely covered and it its not exploded in three weeks its probably OK.

Just make sure its covered in case it does go bang!!!

Aamcle

aamcle said:
Get a bottle add water yeast, some nutrient and the appropriate amount of sugar.

Put it in the warm safely covered and it its not exploded in three weeks its probably OK.

Just make sure its covered in case it does go bang!!!

Aamcle

No, don't bother. don't use for carbonated beverages. They are very week bottles and I broke a few with my bottle brush.

Matt

TRXnMe said:
oldbloke said:

Coffee wine??

It's great. Use high alc yeast and get almost half-strength Tia Maria. everybody likes it. Couple of threads somewhere on here.

oldbloke said:

Good idea. I have a gallon of coffee wine on the go at the moment, and almost enough J2O bottles to do the whole batch. Plus it'll look good in the clear bottles, and I want that because a lot of it will be going to my uncle, either for his 60th birthday in July :party: or if it's not fully matured by then, next Christmas. He loves Tia Maria and Kahlua, so I'm hoping he'll like the coffee wine.

oldbloke said:
TRXnMe said:
oldbloke said:

Coffee wine??

It's great. Use high alc yeast and get almost half-strength Tia Maria. everybody likes it. Couple of threads somewhere on here.

Thanks for that, I know a couple of folk who like tia maria, I'lll look up the threads and see about putting a brew on :)

I've got a large batch of now empty glass coca-cola bottles which where excelent for a single measure of sparkling wine, I think they may be thicker though.

Yeh, coke is a fizzy drink so you can put fizzy stuff in those

Update:

I experimented with one J20 bottle and some of the left-overs from cider bottling, plus 25ml apple juice to prime. The bottle did not explode, so a few weeks ago I primed the rest and filled them with rosepetal cider. They go into the fridge on Tuesday.

I used a j2o bottle for the last bit in the fv when i brewed a porter a while back. Carved up with no dramas. Tbh i didn't even think about it not doing so, but now that you mention it i can see why it might be slightly thinner glass with it not being carbonated in the first place.

Back