Jail ale.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
SWMBO was in ALDI earlier and said these were flying off the shelf at £1.46 she bought one for me to try but it'll be Friday night before i can drink it , has anyone tried it, was it any good?

Jail Ale is a full-bodied, golden brown beer with a well rounded flavour and a rich aftertaste that will keep you coming back for more.
Picking up many premium ale awards, it is brewed in England’s highest brewery based at Princetown in the midst of Dartmoor, using Devon barley malted at Tucker’s Maltings in Newton Abbot.

• 500ml bottle
  • 4.8% ABV
  • Made at Princetown, Dartmoor, Devon
  • Multi-award winning beer
  • Produced by Dartmoor Breweries

1612205031546.png

Only on the tap on me jollybobs down the West country.
Most acceptable.
Oh...how I long to get in the car with the family and take 8 hours driving to Cornwall....

No Tuckers Maltings at Newton Abbot for maybe 3 years - a great loss. Next closest could be Warminster I suppose - only a guess.
Princetown is well worth a visit. Dartmoor is fantastic on a bike.
Slightly off topic but here is a photo of me inside the famous prison for a bike show around 1985. Mine is the Guzzi California towards the left.

Attachments

• Prison 1.jpg
    Prison 1.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 92
Only on the tap on me jollybobs down the West country.
Most acceptable.
Oh...how I long to get in the car with the family and take 8 hours driving to Cornwall....

Fingers crossed you will be making that journey again soon.

Well kept Jail Ale on cask is fantastic beer (remember cask beer?!) In bottles its OK but not as good as the cask. It seems to be no longer available bottle conditioned which is a shame.
Dartmoor Legend is good too.

Had many a pint of Jail down in Torquay, lovely drop.
If Aldi have got a deal going with Dartmoor brewery then it's great news.
Let us know what you think.
Cheers Jon

I used to buy malt from Tucker when we visited the in-laws in Torquay. Although they no longer produce their own malt they sell Warminster malt and I bought and picked up a 25kg bag of MO for £24. I love Jail Ale and make it regularly.

Had many a pint of Jail down in Torquay, lovely drop.
If Aldi have got a deal going with Dartmoor brewery then it's great news.
Let us know what you think.
Cheers Jon

I believe they have bought up lots of stock of many different beers from brewers struggling to sell because pubs are closed, I don't know if less than 1.50 a bottle is cheap but bearing in mind how fast it was selling I assume it is.

I used to buy malt from Tucker when we visited the in-laws in Torquay. Although they no longer produce their own malt they sell Warminster malt and I bought and picked up a 25kg bag of MO for £24. I love Jail Ale and make it regularly.
I remember sat on the train at Newton Abbot and could see tuckers maltings as we pulled out the station, they used to have the ad banner up for the beer festival.

Tuckers still have a tap room at the NA site and they still trade from Crediton. They now buy in their malts. The MO I bought was Warminster malt.

SWMBO was in ALDI earlier and said these were flying off the shelf at £1.46 she bought one for me to try but it'll be Friday night before i can drink it , has anyone tried it, was it any good?

Jail Ale is a full-bodied, golden brown beer with a well rounded flavour and a rich aftertaste that will keep you coming back for more.
Picking up many premium ale awards, it is brewed in England’s highest brewery based at Princetown in the midst of Dartmoor, using Devon barley malted at Tucker’s Maltings in Newton Abbot.

• 500ml bottle
  • 4.8% ABV
  • Made at Princetown, Dartmoor, Devon
  • Multi-award winning beer
  • Produced by Dartmoor Breweries

View attachment 40645
One of the best beers I’ve ever had, even in bottle. It even has its own fan club! The other Dartmoor beers are pretty good too ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Done that road across Dartmoor from Moretonhampstead past the prison to Yelverton many a time on the bike!

I had my first pint of Jail Ale in 1994, the year it was launched, at the Two Bridges Hotel near Princetown. I was immediately impressed, and tracked what was then called Princetown Brewery down to its original site in a large shed behind the Prince of Wales pub. I became quite friendly with the Brewer, Simon Loveless, from whom I scrounged yeast and advice for about ten years, until he became too busy setting up the present brewery on the nearby old Station site.

My stock beer is based on JA, the malts being in the ratio 25Kg pale, to 1.5Kg each of crystal and wheat should anybody want to make some.

Back