Jester

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have 130g of jester, was thinking of doing a smash using maris otter my question is has anybody done one using this hop, if so i would appreciate your thoughts on this hop, the hops were a freebie from CML so i need to use them, cheers guys and gals

Never used it on its own Rod but it is part of the CML Tropical England mix so should be good in a Pale/IPA, does say tropical/grapefruit descriptors?

If you do not get any joy Rod search Youtube with "jester hops" and the Brew Dudes have Done a smash review of the hop

The grainfather and the counterflow chiller it comes with are awesome. Only thing I hate is the false bottom which sometimes moves when you don't want it to. You have to treat it with kid gloves. I think some folk have modified theirs.

Really solid (and well built for the most part) but very heavy piece of equipment and quite difficult to lift up to the sink to get the last few dregs of water out.

There's no tap on the bottom but you can easily fit one. In fact the Brewzilla one would probably fit.

I put the GF next to my Brewzilla when I first got it and the Brewzilla looked like a child's toy 😂

Yeah the reason i asked is the bottom plate, i recently bought a new one for the bz and it is no different, it's fine until the boil then it tends to lift, i have been using bags for the hops which helps a lot, glad you like it looks really good and solidly built i thought about getting one but i can't justify having 3 kettles athumb..

Yeah the reason i asked is the bottom plate, i recently bought a new one for the bz and it is no different, it's fine until the boil then it tends to lift, i have been using bags for the hops which helps a lot, glad you like it looks really good and solidly built i thought about getting one but i can't justify having 3 kettles athumb..
course you can! You can use the brewzilla for sous vide, that's what we do 😂

Hey, so I just bottled a Vienna Jester SMASH this morning...was fermented using the CML Ale Yeast. First taste out of bucket was promising. Should be a well balanced fruity ale - beautiful orange hue to it. Don't expect too much hop character from the Jester though...I think it's present, its just quite delicate. Overall I think it works in a British style Pale Ale, but it's not going to set the world on fire.

I did a little research before brewing it and my observations are generally in line with what I'd read elsewhere.

Hope that's useful.

Hmm - I'm not sure about Jester in a SMASH, it needs something to help it out whether on the grist or hop side, maybe a bit of crystal or even DRC in the grist, or blend in another hop - Romney Marsh do a nice beer that's Jester & EKG.

It does seem to be one of those hops that varies quite a bit by lot and/or vintage - the first Faram trial brews were really mango-y but the commercial Jester seem to be blackcurrant and a vague "tropical-ness" in varying proportions.

Hmm - I'm not sure about Jester in a SMASH, it needs something to help it out whether on the grist or hop side, maybe a bit of crystal or even DRC in the grist, or blend in another hop - Romney Marsh do a nice beer that's Jester & EKG.

It does seem to be one of those hops that varies quite a bit by lot and/or vintage - the first Faram trial brews were really mango-y but the commercial Jester seem to be blackcurrant and a vague "tropical-ness" in varying proportions.
I do have a small amount of EKG maybe 20g

Hi - I can give you some real world experience. Ive used Jester twice in a 10L brew and it produced a very agreeable beer. Light and delicate with a definite blackberry taste. A nice summer drink.

Latest posts

Back