Just bought a 27L burco boiler

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElvisIsBeer

Reaction score
Evening all,

Not posted too much on the brewing front. Kitchen makeover kept me busy and precluded intensive steamy boiling.

I'm trying to, slowly, put together a modest mancave operation.

Managed, in the last week, to blag a mash tun (insulated Thermos stylee) and a 27L burco.

I'll have a look around to find what more I need, and what I might need to do with the burco....

Fingers crossed, I'll soon be able to get a brew day up and running.

Cheers

Nice one! You could get by without anything further. You could use the Burco to heat water for mash and sparge, run off from the mash tun into an FV, then transfer back to the Burco to boil. It would be a bit slower because getting to a boil would take longer compared to running off into your boiler.

That's the sort of thing I was looking at. I've retained our old fridge after the kitchen makeover....so some vague plans for brewfridge in the mancave.

Really quite excited.

That's the sort of thing I was looking at. I've retained our old fridge after the kitchen makeover....so some vague plans for brewfridge in the mancave.

Really quite excited.
Sounds good bud, I have the Burco boiler,decent enough and does me fine for my BIAB although I end up with less volume but stronger and need to dilute .
I can take a picture of the tap if you like

In action

Attachments

• 465C509D-5DC6-45A9-B30C-BCFA4E69BD51.jpeg
    465C509D-5DC6-45A9-B30C-BCFA4E69BD51.jpeg
    145.8 KB · Views: 128
:thumb: excellent

I'm contemplating a DIY wort chiller too.
I done the same,not as hard as you think,get to Screwfix asap
Excuse the mess,moved house

Attachments

• E92D4612-6C43-4F8D-99C8-F68298FEFB2B.jpeg
    E92D4612-6C43-4F8D-99C8-F68298FEFB2B.jpeg
    56.1 KB · Views: 119
  • B8837080-4233-445D-8D19-A534F5D2B544.jpeg
    B8837080-4233-445D-8D19-A534F5D2B544.jpeg
    126.9 KB · Views: 132
  • 6FAA5E1D-0BC1-4207-9B95-C004DB245837.jpeg
    6FAA5E1D-0BC1-4207-9B95-C004DB245837.jpeg
    59 KB · Views: 114
brill - thanks for the pics. I remember the thread when you did it. Neat work.:thumb:

Did a bit of tidying in the mancave this morning. Making space, and cleaning up. I reclaimed some of the old kitchen units/worktop, so I've got myself a half decent platform to work from, close to a water supply. I'll need to run an extension cable around for the time being, as the mains is on the other side of the garage.

The other thing I have to think about is run off when chilling the wort. I can capture some, I suppose, in a fermenter and use it as rinsing water afterwards, but presumably there will be a canny bit of water, so I need to find the best route to a drain. Won't be too tricky.

brill - thanks for the pics. I remember the thread when you did it. Neat work.:thumb:

Did a bit of tidying in the mancave this morning. Making space, and cleaning up. I reclaimed some of the old kitchen units/worktop, so I've got myself a half decent platform to work from, close to a water supply. I'll need to run an extension cable around for the time being, as the mains is on the other side of the garage.

The other thing I have to think about is run off when chilling the wort. I can capture some, I suppose, in a fermenter and use it as rinsing water afterwards, but presumably there will be a canny bit of water, so I need to find the best route to a drain. Won't be too tricky.

Silicone or reinforced PVC tubing is cheap and would do the job. But yes it’s definitely worth grabbing the early bits as that’s hot.

Just be careful when using extension leads as your burco boiler element is using 3000 Watts/240v=12.5A or 13A if on a 230v supply.
Ensure that extension lead is unwound to reduce heat with current draw and is a minimum of 1.5mm cable,or you may end up with it blowing fuse's/trips in the middle of a boil.Is it possible to move the boiler so it plugs direct into the socket outlet on the wall?

As for your run off,attach a garden hose to run off outside to the drain which is usually the best option or to a sink nearby.With you having water source nearby I'm assuming that this maybe for a washing machine in the garage and if so you could tie of and run your hose into the waste drain.

No modifications at all. But yes, the base is where the gubbins is located, and it was piffing water in a steady trickle last night.

The seller has accepted the return, so I just have to box it up. I wondered about whether there was any way to repair it (or at least understand the reason for the leak), but I didn't want to fiddle with it, in case I made it worse & couldn't fix it.

At least by sending it back I get me cash to buy another one.

Latest posts

Back