keeping the Hops high

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopinator

Reaction score
I though I would make one more AIPA before a change in styles.
I love a hoppy beer. originally I wanted a double IPA but my efficiency was terrible.

Let me know what you think its currently dry hopping as we speak, I'm going to use gelatin to clear this time, last was a tad hazy.

coop a loop juice
Method: All Grain
Style: American IPA
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 21 liters (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 28.5 liters
Boil Gravity: 1.030 (recipe based estimate)
Efficiency: 40% (brew house)
Source: Franks Head Brewery

Original Gravity:
Final Gravity:
ABV (standard):
5.32%
IBU (tinseth):
SRM (morey):

Fermentables
Amount Fermentable PPG °L Bill %
6 kg United Kingdom - Pale 2-Row 38 2.5 82.8%
0.25 kg United Kingdom - Crystal 70L 34 70 6.9%
0.25 kg American - Carapils (Dextrine Malt) 33 1.8 3.4%
6.5 kg Total
Hops
Amount Variety Type AA Use Time IBU
25 g Summit Pellet 18.5 Boil 60 min 67.1
50 g Citra Pellet 11 Whirlpool at 75 °C 15 min 26.19
50 g Mosaic Pellet 12.5 Whirlpool at 75 °C 15 min 29.77
50 g Ekuanot Pellet 14.25 Whirlpool at 75 °C 15 min 33.93
50 g Ekuanot Pellet 14.25 Dry Hop 6 days
50 g citra Pellet 11 Dry Hop 6 days
50 g Mosaic Leaf/Whole 12.5 Dry Hop 6 days

Hops Summary
Amount Variety Type AA
100 g Citra Pellet 11
100 g Ekuanot Pellet 14.25
50 g Mosaic Leaf/Whole 12.5
50 g Mosaic Pellet 12.5
25 g Summit Pellet 18.5
325 g Total
Mash Guidelines
Amount Description Type Temp Time
18 L Fly Sparge 62 C 0 min
Starting Mash Thickness: 3 L/kg

ibu to OG verhouding.jpg

cheers, I dont find the IBU from the calculators translates to the bitterness of the final product, its only just been dry hopped but tastes great not overly bitter, but then I love a bitter highly hopped beer. I may do one with less early hops as a trail, if its just as nice it will save some money.

I'd do away with the 60 minute addition and just bang it in the fermenter. I don't think you'll get all of those ibus from the steeped hops anyway tbh.

cheers, I dont find the IBU from the calculators translates to the bitterness of the final product, its only just been dry hopped but tastes great not overly bitter, but then I love a bitter highly hopped beer. I may do one with less early hops as a trail, if its just as nice it will save some money.

Thats for multiple reasons.

The calculations are pretty good. But our brewing techniques and taste perception are usually a bit variable.

Recipe looks good. Eukanot, Mosaic and Citra is a match made in heaven. Personally I would put half the whirlpool additions as extra dry hops and move the 15 min additions to 10 or 5 mins. The IBUs do look iffy. I find the Brewers Friend calculator underestimates if you add them as 0 min additions and overestimated if added as whirlpool using the default settings, though the former is closer than the latter.

Recipe looks good. Eukanot, Mosaic and Citra is a match made in heaven. Personally I would put half the whirlpool additions as extra dry hops and move the 15 min additions to 10 or 5 mins. The IBUs do look iffy. I find the Brewers Friend calculator underestimates if you add them as 0 min additions and overestimated if added as whirlpool using the default settings, though the former is closer than the latter.

+1

Citra Cryo, Ekua Cryo, Mosaic Cryo, Vic & Nelson

I quite like that amount of crystal gives it a nice colour, its probably whats balancing out the bitterness though. I will try less next time, I like the head retention the dextrine malt gives.

Im using Hook Head Irish Pale Malt as my base malt dose anyone else use this and thoughts over maris otter.

You don't need that much dextrine malt to get good head retention. Hook Head is good stuff. Maris Otter has a slightly better flavour, but its nuanced and would be lost behind all those hops, so it won't really make any difference in a beer like this.

Cheers Ian, Ill drop the amounts of Dextrine, what would you recommend I didn't think 250g would be that much.

It isn't too much, and will give the beer body, but if head retention is what you want then the crystal should be enough to do the job. Personally, I would keep it in, but then again I quite like a sweet, thick malty body behind an IPA to balance the bitterness.

40% brewhouse efficiency is the bit that alarms me. I know everyone's system is variable but that just seems crazy. Do you know why it was so low? How are you mashing your grain?

On the IBUs, it looks like your brewing calculator is adding IBUs even when the whirlpool additions are at 75°C. They shouldn't add any IBUs as they are added below the isomerisation temperature. On that basis, it would only be 67IBU which would be much more in keeping with the style.

the efficiency is upsetting, I think the issue is the amount of grain in my mashtun. My next run I'm going to use a max of 5kg and mash longer 90mins over the current 60mins.

My temp is consistent and a recirculate for the last 20 mins of the mash.

If I could get to 75% I would be very happy.

Latest posts

Back