Keg Washer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am looking to get myself a keg/fermenter washer my DIY skills aren't good but would be willing to try and make my own .I was thinking of a 3000l/h 40watt submersible pond pump though was wondering what else I need to put it together . I obviously have gas/beer connectors 3/8 pipe and a JG 3/8 tee .

I am looking to get myself a keg/fermenter washer my DIY skills aren't good but would be willing to try and make my own .I was thinking of a 3000l/h 40watt submersible pond pump though was wondering what else I need to put it together . I obviously have gas/beer connectors 3/8 pipe and a JG 3/8 tee .

You better off to start with 5/16, because it's easier to match with ordinary plumbing parts.
You might want a CIP ball as well.
Then just pick pipes and connectors from Screwfix.

I don't really understand keg washers. Doesn't it only take 5-10 minutes to scrub and sanitise a keg, including removing and cleaning posts and dip tubes? Unless you do tonnes of them

Which pump are you eyeing up for your build? I'm thinking of building one too but want to use my Brewzilla 35lire so need the pump to be able to fit inside that. Thinking that the brewzilla can maintain the cleaning solution temperature so can use hotter fluid. Not sure if the large submersible pumps would fit inside the Brewzilla. I'm looking for a powerful pump as I think, unless you're using some pretty harsh chemicals like caustic acid, then a bit of impingement action would be useful.

I use a garden hose, hot water and then VWP followed by a rinse with the garden hose. I always remove the posts and tubes for a separate wash and sanitise. I takes about 20 minutes.

Removing the posts is the issue I have . I understand some people have various ways of cleaning their kegs and fermenters just looking to make cleaning kegs and fermenters an easier task for myself due to the issues I have.

well currently I half fill my kegs with 60 degree sodium percarbonate solution and give them a good shake, let soak for 10 mins and use the increased pressure to push SP solution through the dip tube and liquid post and leave to soak for a good 20 mins, then turn upside down and soak for another 20 mins or so to give the gas post a good soaking. then when I rinse out will flush through with water then fill with starsan and flush starsan through posts and leave until needed.

I can't be bothered to disassemble every time. I don't think it's necessary. there is not much to the posts - its a simple spring and poppet valve so flushing through means the cleaning solution contacts all the surfaces and a good active cleaning solution like Sodium Percarbonate or similar with to their thing.

Yep looked at that kit but can’t be doing with another bucket or vessel cluttering up my garage. I’m short enough on space as it is, which is why I’m looking for a way to repurpose the Brewzilla. Also handy with the heating capability.

Back