Kegerator Build

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

S7655

Reaction score
I have a Bosch fridge freezer that I want to convert to a kegerator. Does anyone know if it's possible to change the freezer to a fridge

My limited knowledge says that you don't need to use the freezer part as a fridge as loads of people make Keezers that are freezers. you may just need two heat controllers. I await other responses from people that have more experience.

Your main problem will be (I presume) that the shelves in the freezer part will have cooling coils making it hard to use that space as a kegorator.

Also a fridge freezer normally has just one refrigeration unit. Normally controlling the freezer and uses the residual cold to keep the fridge at fridge temps this in turn makes it hard to use the fridge and freezer compartment at the same temp.

You could probably set up a kegorator in the fridge section, however if you use a TC for the fridge the freezer section would be unlikely to stay at any really useuseable temperature (freezes as the compressor kicks in but then defrosts over time as) at least this is what mine dose. You can use it to store grain or hops however I'm not sure if going from frozen to cold is actually a good way to store ingredients.

Why don't you keep the freezer part. Kegs in the fridge and use the freezer to store all your hops
Wouldn’t the freezer be constantly switching off and kicking in again if he did that as the fridge temperature reached optimal and then moved out of the set temperature range?

Wouldn’t the freezer be constantly switching off and kicking in again if he did that as the fridge temperature reached optimal and then moved out of the set temperature range?
This. If you don't use a TC and just use the fridge existing thermostat it will work however your fridge temp will probably be hard to controll and fairly inaccurate. If you use a TC you will have this problem

Just use it as it was manufactured. That is what I do with my keggerator, just use the internal thermostat to control temperature

Thanks all for your helpful replies. I didn’t realise a FF only had one thermostat my idea was to change the freezer stat to a fridge one hence doubling the capacity

Not possible I'm afraid buddy.

@Leon103 has a good suggestion though, I used that for my hops and ice when I had an upright fridge freezer kegerator.

Latest posts

Back