Kettle Elements

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J_P

Regular.
Reaction score
How do all

Where abouts do you all get your kettle elements from? I'm looking to add another element to my boiler and don't fancy having to disassemble any tossco value kettles.

Cheers in advance

John

I can get the 2.75kw elemtns (old style 3 round pin) for £11.

You'd have to get the lead from Baker.
Their reference 14028 £8.99
Call 01709 828 292

There is a handling charge of of £4.26 and P+P of £5

Once you have the lead these elements are a lot cheaper than the £20+ quid quoted in HB shops.

can anyone give me some advice on the immersion tank type heaters, (3kw)?

How much should I expect to pay for them, where is the best site look for them and can I run 2 at once, just to start the boil, on a 16amp garage ring main without it tripping out?

Also would anyone know the typical diameter hole I would need to cut to accommodate the unit. Do the have the same type of gasket/seal (silicon) as kettle elements?

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

jb.

Admin. don't know if should be a new thread, sorry

can anyone give me some advice on the immersion tank type heaters, (3kw)?

How much should I expect to pay for them, where is the best site look for them

www.bes.co.uk

and can I run 2 at once, just to start the boil, on a 16amp garage ring main without it tripping out?

Definately not :shock: each 3kw element will draw about 13 amps, and that's when they are new and the terminals are in tip top condition. As they age they will draw more than 13 amps.....don't do it.

You'd be better off with 2.75kw elements as they require no special wiring and aren't as likely to trip your circuits.
I looked into the difference in time taken for 2 x 2.75 elements to raise a certain volume of water to boiling v 2 x 3kw elements and it was about 10 minutes.

On a plus side for immersion elements, they are cheaper than kettle elements and more widely available ;)

jonnybeer said:
How much should I expect to pay for them

It varies I got mine for 5 quid from ebay . .. up to about 25 quid for really posh ones . .. up to 150 quid for SS 3/4 boss ones :shock:

jonnybeer said:
where is the best site look for them[/quote

As Vossy Mentions BES are probably your best bet. I'd love the SS ones for Aggressive water . . . but as its pretty soft here I can get away with plain copper.

jonnybeer said:
Can I run 2 at once, just to start the boil, on a 16amp garage ring main without it tripping out?

No I am in the process of fitting a 50A supply to my Shed so that I can run the new all electric brewery out there and that will only use 2 3KW elements

jonnybeer said:
Would anyone know the typical diameter hole I would need to cut to accommodate the unit.

I measured mine at 67mm, although someone on another forum who has drilled and fitted them has said its 63-64mm . . . . . . I'll probably punch it to 64mm and then file it out to the correct diameter . . . but I do want it to be a tight fit on the boss.

jonnybeer said:
Do the have the same type of gasket/seal (silicon) as kettle elements?
No, its a fibre washer that you fit on the outside of the vessel . . . . I'm going to use JB Weld or a Food grade silicon sealer on the inside boss/vessel mating surface.

You'll need a strap wrench to hold the boss in place on the inside while you turn the immersion round with a box spanner to tighten it all.

For anyone interested I'm about to place a order with Backer for a few forum members including myself.

I'm going to be ordering the OLD STYLE ROUND PIN kettle leads.
They cost £10.57 inc vat each.
There will be a delivery charge from Backer to myself of £11.12 (£5 P+P, £4.46 handling fee + vat) to be divided by the number of members ordering.
At present 4 members are ordering so it will be £2.78 each plus postage on to yourself, so I reckon about £5 tops.

I can get hold of the old style 2.75kw elements new for £11

Cash up front, let me know ;)

Aleman said:
As Vossy Mentions BES are probably your best bet. I'd love the SS ones for Aggressive water . . . but as its pretty soft here I can get away with plain copper.
Currently I have two copper ones but when they fail (one already has and was replaced) I'll get the SS ones for da shiny.
No I am in the process of fitting a 50A supply to my Shed so that I can run the new all electric brewery out there and that will only use 2 3KW elements
I have those round blue plugs for my elements - they are rated higher than normal domestic sockets. Also I have a decent ring main in the garage where I brew.
No, its a fibre washer that you fit on the outside of the vessel . . . . I'm going to use JB Weld or a Food grade silicon sealer on the inside boss/vessel mating surface.

You'll need a strap wrench to hold the boss in place on the inside while you turn the immersion round with a box spanner to tighten it all.
You don't need JB Weld as they will eventually seal. It is bloody hard to do that though and usually involves some sort of contortions with your head stuck in the copper turning the wrench on the inside whilst standing on the wrench on the outside....well it did for me...

Thanks for the replies.

V1. so 2x2.75kw will boil 10 gallons? I'm not really worried about an extra 10/15 minutes on boil time, more concerned with the safety aspect.

Aleman. can't really justify stainless at the mo. and just had my service and the boards main fuse upgraded to 60 amp so don't want to be going through another change and the cost of an electrician to justify the upgrade. Will go with the 2.75kw.setup and use fibre washers.

Thanks all

jb

Vossy1 said:
For anyone interested I'm about to place a order with Backer for a few forum members including myself.

I'm going to be ordering the OLD STYLE ROUND PIN kettle leads.
They cost £10.57 inc vat each.
There will be a delivery charge from Backer to myself of £11.12 (£5 P+P, £4.46 handling fee + vat) to be divided by the number of members ordering.
At present 4 members are ordering so it will be £2.78 each plus postage on to yourself, so I reckon about £5 tops.

I can get hold of the old style 2.75kw elements new for £11

Cash up front, let me know ;)

pm on it's way

jb.

Latest posts

Back