Klarstein help please

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smokey.

Reaction score
I have a Klarstein30/35l brewing system, can't remember the name but it's the same as Hopcat/BrewDevil etc......... I haven't used it in a while because we moved house and it's probably been in storage for 6 months or more. Anyway, did a couple of brews this week and it keeps cutting out as it heats up to mash or boil.

What happens is I hear a click, the machine starts beeping constantly, the LCD flashes and it displays 0.0. I can hold the Start/Stop button down and it resets the machine and I can carry on. It will display the number 7 when I reset it which I have Googled but can't find anything.

Took it apart, sprayed some WD40 on the contacts in the base (not the circuit board) gave the bottom a good clean and it cut out once on the second brew.

Any ideas? I'm thinking either cut out has goner or the temp probe. Once it hits temp for mash or boil it's fine and maintains that temp and I can go off and let it do it's thing.

Thanks.

Is there any 'crud' on the boil plate? That needs to be spotlessly clean in my experience or it trips out.

Is there any 'crud' on the boil plate? That needs to be spotlessly clean in my experience or it trips out.
Crud on the boil plate was the culprit what this happened to me. I also had it happen when using an extension lead to connect it to the power, when I plug it straight in at the wall it works fine.

No extension is being used although I am using the Klarstein in the garage and i'm not sure what the electric feed runs off. Before the second brew, I gave it a good clean, removed the base and gave the contacts a small spray with WD40 and it only tripped once. I have ordered a new cut off switch from ebay using the same part number because they're £5-6 cheaper.

The main circuit board looks okay but that's just me looking at it and going "yeah, looks okay".

I'll wait for the new cut out to arrive which should be anytime now and do a test run.

Although this probably isn't the cause of your problem, I would double check the connectors on the ON/OFF (red) rocker switch (if you have one on your model) and also the condition of the terminals as mine detached one from the switch body

Last edited:
Back