Klarstein mash kettle- worth getting?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harry74

Reaction score
I have about 10 extract brews under my belt now, and definitely fancy trying all grain, I like
IPAs and lagers.
Due to lack of space BIAB seems the way to go for me, I know I can try this out using a big arsed pan and my kitchen hob but Id have to buy such a pan and a suitable thermometer and a bag and I'm thinking that's going to be pricey anyway so why not just get this mash kettle that comes with the bag. It's £124 from manufacturer. Has anyone used one or have any pearls of wisdom? I've considered the tea urn route with temperature control stuff from eBay but for the sake of a few quid a purpose made unit seems a lot more appealing to me.

I dont know anything about this particular kettle, but by the sounds of the price its a large one 50L? Something this size and your not going to be able to use your kitchen hob as you won't get a rolling boilwhen doing a full length 23L brew. You'll either need to look at other heating options (gas burner or induction hob) or if your only have the option of using your kitchen hob your looking at a smaller kettle and either going to have to do smaller batches or go the maxi-biab route like me (produce a smaller concentrated amount of wort which is then diluted in the FV)

Having recently been through the many options of kit for moving to All Grain BIAB myself have you considered one of these kit deals

http://www.geterbrewed.com/basic-biab-starter-kit-kit-brewers-upgrade/

There is almost an identical kit from HBC as well both have forum discounts and are great value in my eyes, especially as you also get another ingredient kit to play with.

I've only finished one brew day since getting the kit but very happy.

Having recently been through the many options of kit for moving to All Grain BIAB myself have you considered one of these kit deals

http://http://www.geterbrewed.com/basic-biab-starter-kit-kit-brewers-upgrade/

There is almost an identical kit from HBC as well both have forum discounts and are great value in my eyes, especially as you also get another ingredient kit to play with.

I've only finished one brew day since getting the kit but very happy.
You've double pasted your http so your link is invalid but I have seen the kit.Just pointing out 👍

Sent from my ALE-L21

Ive seen the Klarstein mash tun boiler on eBay, it appears to be identical to the Ace boiler which is very popular on this forum.
They also do a micro brewery the same as the new Ace micro brewery, similar pricing. I've currently got the HBC plastic boiler and would say definitely go for the Klarstein or the Ace as its a definite step up. You'd just need to add a wort chiller and some way to sparge, dunk sparking in a cheap 19 litre stainless pot on the hob works for me.
Alternatively if your budget will run to it get the micro brewery. I'm currently torn between that and a Grainfather. My heart wants the Grainfather but the price difference is considerable.

^^ an extra £10 off if you subscribe to the newsletter for the OP. I'm quite interested in the all in one kits like the Grainfather like you say Doug, I'll keep an eye on this thread.

Hello Harry

I've just purchased the very same boiler from klarstein! It is the same as the ace boiler, double walled with a timer and a thermostatic control.

Good bits, it has a keep warm which I think is an 85watt heater so mashing is great.

Solid construction great tap and sealing lid.

The heater is 2500 watt, it gets a boil going very quick!

Bad bits

It is just 30 litres
the boil is very intense.

Here is what I plan to do, there are two main heating elements 900w and 1600w, I plan to put a switch on it so that I can select 900 or 1600 or 2500 watts.

I brewed a mild ale in just over three hours with it, warm tap water in, bring to about 75c, grain in a big bag in, check temp and ensure boiler is almost full to the brim. Mash for an hour, remove bag and hold it to drain as much as possible, set boiler to 105c, boil with hops for an hour and top up with kettle water. Throw in chiller about 15 mins before end of boil and then chill at boil off. Run wort to fv pitch yeast done!

It will boil over at 2500 watts so watch it.

Let me know if you buy it and i'll mod it I will let know how it works.

Oh one last note do go all grain, I'm a lazy brewer however I'm sitting here drinking 6 day old bitter that tastes better than the pub. Brewed in three hours, fv for 4 days, 2 days in plastic barrel.

Nottingham Ale yeast by danstar

Makes sense. Notty is a beast. I fairly recently brewed a 1.062 Porter with it and it was down to two points off target FG in one week. I then repitched some of the slurry from that, yesterday into another brew. It started fermenting in 3 hours.
I'm currently in the process of culturing up the fullers strain for Bitters and other English styles. That's supposed to ferment fast too.

Makes sense. Notty is a beast. I fairly recently brewed a 1.062 Porter with it and it was down to two points off target FG in one week. I then repitched some of the slurry from that, yesterday into another brew. It started fermenting in 3 hours.
I'm currently in the process of culturing up the fullers strain for Bitters and other English styles. That's supposed to ferment fast too.

It is becoming my yeast of choice, I have a mild brewing that I bet is done in four days again. AG is the way to go 100%.

To the OP I did modify my kettle today with two switches from maplin so I can now switch either 2500w 1600w or 900w. It works but not the best diy i have done :-(

It is becoming my yeast of choice, I have a mild brewing that I bet is done in four days again. AG is the way to go 100%.

To the OP I did modify my kettle today with two switches from maplin so I can now switch either 2500w 1600w or 900w. It works but not the best diy i have done :-(

I haven't got aruond to doing it yet but Notty fermented at it lowest temp (14C) is supposed to make a lager almost indistinguishable from a proper lager yeast fermented at lower temps

I haven't got aruond to doing it yet but Notty fermented at it lowest temp (14C) is supposed to make a lager almost indistinguishable from a proper lager yeast fermented at lower temps

That would be great, I've just tried california lager yeast to make a common, that was done at 18c, tasted good preason bottle. I'm going to try two lagers with california lager yeast next at 18c! Fingers crossed.

That would be great, I've just tried california lager yeast to make a common, that was done at 18c, tasted good preason bottle. I'm going to try two lagers with california lager yeast next at 18c! Fingers crossed.

I used the Mangrove Jack's Cali-Lager yeast. It's great I fermented at 17C and got good results but it accentuates the malt which is quite good for German style lagers which are supposed to be more malty. I plan on using notty fermented at 14C for American/pilsners/more hop forward lagers

hi
I also have a KLARSTEIN MASH TANK BEER BREWING thing
which my lovely wife got me for my birthday
right been trying to work out where to add the grain
on the bottom mesh plate or on the top one
as anybody got a link to a youtube viv on these
as I can only find it on the ace and bulldog ones
thanks in advance

Mine only has one plate that sits in the bottom on the tank. I put the grain in a large bag and that sits on top of the mesh plate.

Back