Kveik

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Clint, did you use a nutrient to your brew or rehydrate the yeast as my CML Kveik arrived yesterday and will be trying it on an APA in the next few days.

I just chucked it in at 35...
Yes the reading is affected by temp...I must recheck..
The difference value gives me 1010..adjusted still gives my calculated abv and attenuation.. I'll continue with my plan...

Last edited:
Do Kveik users free ferment at high ambient temps or do temp control?
I think I bought mine with the intention of leaving It do it's thing in the garage but this time the space had a fv there so in the fridge it went.
I think my next time it will go on the work bench and I'll keep the fridge to chill standard brews to pitch temp.

That's good I think if you monitor the brew and deal with it as soon as it's done to see what turn around time you can get...as the yeast is supposed to cause no off flavour..
The free style should also support this but will take longer...would pitching at 35 and leaving it to drop during fermentation be a problem?

...and here's me thinking I might not brew this coming block off. My only restrictions are severe lack of packaging...except for the two plastic PBS I have...one isn't bad...the Wilko has been rubbish..although for at least a couple of months it's held pressure with some water in...
Then there's chilling the PBS,..

Quick question..........does the hydrometer reading alter depending on the temperature of the wort ???
On my 1st Kveik brew I fermented at about 38c and took my reading at that temperature, like you I then let it drop after it had finished to dry hop at about 18c, then took my final gravity reading at that lower temperature...........any ideas ??
Its does change with temp. Here is a calc. You have done the same with your beer as i do. Brewdog recommend 14c for dry hopping if you can control temps. Cannot confirm if its better than 18c but worth a look into.
Best of luck, its great to see so many people trying these yeasts. I was so excited when i first got hold of some! Some great threads on homebrewtalk on kveik well worth reading.

Cheers, on the calculator what does the calibration mean, it's set on 20c ???
It is great being able to brew quickly on hot days, I've done 2 now, 1st one tastes very good and the 2nd one is being bottled tomorrow after just 8 days :)
Weird opening the fermentation fridge and getting a blast of hot air like the oven........

Do Kveik users free ferment at high ambient temps or do temp control?
I think I bought mine with the intention of leaving It do it's thing in the garage but this time the space had a fv there so in the fridge it went.
I think my next time it will go on the work bench and I'll keep the fridge to chill standard brews to pitch temp.

Also currently fermenting my first Kveik. I have just let mine go up and down with the ambient - started it at just over 40 and the lowest it has dropped has been 30 now back up to brewcave ambient which is 34. I was a bit lazy with trying to keep it a bit more constant - the fermentation freezer currently being used for a more traditional best bitter. Fingers crossed that the wild swings haven't been too detrimental.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back