Kveik

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The free style should also support this but will take longer...would pitching at 35 and leaving it to drop during fermentation be a problem?
That's how I do it. Move to a no-chill cube after the boil. Leave it until it's around 30-35, then pitch. Ferment at ambient with my carboy wrapped in foil (probs has very little real impact). Rips through it in no time :)

Good news!

The weird rubber smell seems to have gone now, maybe ever so slightly still there. I'm cold crashing it now to get the hops to drop out and I'll bottle tomorrow (day 7).

Well.... yesterday I dropped the temp to 19c for dry hop.
I've just started boiling my hop bag and popped into the garage for a look...the temp probe said 24c with a set point of 19c...the fridge was running...and very cold inside...the temp probe wasn't...what a twit!
I've started cold crashing by mistake...just waiting to see what it's at..
It's 5c...I shall continue with the dry hop...

Well.... yesterday I dropped the temp to 19c for dry hop.
I've just started boiling my hop bag and popped into the garage for a look...the temp probe said 24c with a set point of 19c...the fridge was running...and very cold inside...the temp probe wasn't...what a twit!
I've started cold crashing by mistake...just waiting to see what it's at..
It's 5c...I shall continue with the dry hop...
If the yeast's done its job properly then it'll be fine. athumb..

Has anyone managed to keep malt character with Voss at anywhere near 35c? The ones I've done so far have been more like fermented fruit juice than beer. I'm really not interested in doing any more beers like that because it's not that much different to drinking flavoured sugar wash. This is the CML Voss, which isn't an isolate but I don't know if it has the three strains that farmhouse Voss has.

I've got one done at room temp from a split batch but it's not ready to drink yet.

Has anyone managed to keep malt character with Voss at anywhere near 35c? The ones I've done so far have been more like fermented fruit juice than beer. I'm really not interested in doing any more beers like that because it's not that much different to drinking flavoured sugar wash. This is the CML Voss, which isn't an isolate but I don't know if it has the three strains that farmhouse Voss has.

I've got one done at room temp from a split batch but it's not ready to drink yet.
I will let you know, i have one on at the moment started yesterday at 34.6 but its in freefall and is at 28 now

I got my hands on farmhouse Voss. Doing some reading around and some people have said the orange character comes out fermenting colder, others hotter. I did make a voss gose once ages ago, I remember I overpitched and the fermentation took a long time, but don't remember what temp. Had a really good orange blossom character, although a bit on the subtle side. Is it a case that Voss will make orange flavours at any temperature? I've read it can ferment clean.

So much misinformation out there...

Just bottled my Stranda Kviek IPA and am having a cheeky little taster.

There's still an underlying rubber smell to it, but very faint and the yeast cake absolutely reeked of it so I know it's the yeast. It tastes great though, really juicy and nicely bittered. Two weeks and hopefully the rubber smelling yeast will settle to the bottom. I'm impressed at the difference a few days has made.
IMG_20200628_114149.jpg

Seriously, this stuff is from a different planet. I made a starter yesterday with .3 of a gram of Oslo. Less than 24 hours later and it has gone ballistic. I've never had a starter look like this after such a short time, even with 10x the amount of yeast!

IMG_1863.jpg

I've got some Oslo coming in the post. I hope it's good this time. My last two packs of Kveik were dodgy, I suspect some bad conditions during shipping.

Yes, i use it for stouts and it has plenty of malt character. No idea why your having such issues. I have only used the farmhouse. If you want some of mine pm me.

Latest posts

Back